Plans for planting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a busy day planting out today.

Having removed the peas for shoots from the polytunnel, I planted out a second outdoor batch. The first outdoor planting are just about ready to start picking. My sweetcorn plants are now all planted out. I ended up with 42 plants germinated from 60 seeds, so I sowed two blocks three plants wide by seven long in adjacent beds, so I have a nice big block of plants for pollination. After that I found space for radishes, borage, salvias and nasturtiums. Quite a few of the beds are starting to fill up now.

Hopefully tomorrow I can find time to plant out some celery and brassicas in the main plot, and at least some of the greenhouse/polytunnel plants at are ready to go. Given that I was desperately trying to protect plants from freezing temperatures this time last year I'm a little apprehensive about how things are going to work out, but the plants are getting sufficiently large to need to go out and I need the space in the greenhouse for the next sowings so there's not a lot of choice. I think today was the hottest day of the year so far though -- we just topped 20°C this afternoon.

James

Polytunnel looking good.
picked our first mulberries

Attachments

• DAEAA7B8-011E-4BD1-BA77-9A4EF9A76158.jpeg
    DAEAA7B8-011E-4BD1-BA77-9A4EF9A76158.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 90F53FA6-3F71-4707-B092-36FB689E9016.jpeg
    90F53FA6-3F71-4707-B092-36FB689E9016.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 9D68A1EE-803D-42D2-9BC4-F500176CF624.jpeg
    9D68A1EE-803D-42D2-9BC4-F500176CF624.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 34564C8A-C30E-41B6-AEE0-93911D2D5766.jpeg
    34564C8A-C30E-41B6-AEE0-93911D2D5766.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
I get the seeds in early and take over the sun room. We’re already harvesting cucumbers and the early potatoes are flowering

Cucumbers, March.
I grow mini munch as they are just the right size for one.
once the cucumbers start they don’t stop
I’ve just down another couple to take over when these plants start fading so we’ll have cucumbers till the end of October

You may have done this. You have field cucumbers and glass house types. We usually peel the glass house types and scoop the seed meat out. I dont have a recipe to hand. Dr oetker the german spice and food company have pickled cucumber spices and recipes.
But yes they are a bit softer than field cucumbers but still good if your not put off by the texture.

H
I’ve always had bad luck with those. They go soft. Have you a recipe?
Have you tried cucumber salad.
Slice cucumbers with mandolin or thin strips with knife, add cream chopped dill or fennel and some lemon juice and sugar for acidity.
Similar to Bismark herring rollmops but not every ones liking.

H

Have you tried cucumber salad.
Slice cucumbers with mandolin or thin strips with knife, add cream chopped dill or fennel and some lemon juice and sugar for acidity.
Similar to Bismark herring rollmops but not every ones liking.
Yes. My mum who was polish made cucumbers like that.

Finally made a start on my new veg plot today! This is on the croft where my bees are. The crofter very generously ploughed these strips for me, and now that the various animals have been fenced out, this afternoon I put edging in to turn them into proper beds. That's as far as I got! It's going to be a big job to dig it all over. They have a rotovator, but they've got the lurgy just now so can't show me how to use it!

20220604_153254.jpg20220604_173512.jpg

Finally made a start on my new veg plot today! This is on the croft where my bees are. The crofter very generously ploughed these strips for me, and now that the various animals have been fenced out, this afternoon I put edging in to turn them into proper beds. That's as far as I got! It's going to be a big job to dig it all over. They have a rotovator, but they've got the lurgy just now so can't show me how to use it!

View attachment 32299View attachment 32300
Hello nice job. I know you have many different ways to prep beds. I know you may want to do it your way. Even if you rotavate the soil the grass will grow back very soon. Especially perenial rye grass. Either cut the grass off or smother it with mulch. Pine sawdust or chips kill grass very quickly. Compost straw etc. Look at James on this forum beds and the meathod he and others use..he has added pictures.
Also get rid of the grass pathways as this will need constant management. Hope i have not peed on your batterie

Happy growing

Latest posts

Back