Planning to buy a dadant smoker

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I'm planning to buy a dadant smoker. I've 6 hives - is that enough to merit the larger 4x10 or should I go with the smaller 4x7?

I love my dadant smoker it’s the Defender of the beekeepers smoker range!…….I remember some guy a couple of years ago that complained and sent his back because it had a few rough edges😂….. I rather think that’s the point!
Oh and get the big 1….

What do you like better about the Rauchboy?

I have the bigger Dadant but I want to keep another smoker at the other out apiary.
I like the additional inner chamber which helps with airflow, it will smoulder without going out. The Dadant is a tank of a smoker though and is well made. Whichever one you choose you will have a good smoker.

I like the additional inner chamber which helps with airflow, it will smoulder without going out. The Dadant is a tank of a smoker though and is well made. Whichever one you choose you will have a good smoker.
I already have the dadant but wanted a second smoker to keep at the other apiary.
Is the Rauchboy as well made?

Have to say I did break the lid hinge on the Dadant a couple of years ago but I think I'm in the minority there!

Many ebay cheapo smokers also have an inner basket.
the dadant doesn't need an inner chamber, there is a perforated plate in the bottom which leaves an air space under the fuel, there is also a tube leading from from the air inlet so the air from the bellows is carried through right to the middle of the plate which means the air is right under the seat of the 'fire' rather than just swirling around the edges.

Latest posts

Back