Photo of bees moving larvae about

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatters

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 National
When doing an inspection today of a cast swarm nuc we caught the bees moving a larvae about. As you can see in the foreground the queen is still getting used to laying as there are 3 eggs in one cell.

Do they often move larvae around?

That is an awesome picture! I love the clarity :)

Why are they doing that do you think? Also, why are there 3 eggs in that cell? The others eggs look ok to me.

I'll be the first to bow to greater experience, but there was some suggestion that some bees destroy larvae with varroa mites. I wonder whether that is what is happening - which would seem to be a good sign as it would mean your bees would be amongst those learning to deal with varroa?
T

Thanks Kaz
With a new queen, more than one egg in a cell is not unusual as the queen is still learning her craft. The house bees tidy things up.

I did not realise though that larvae is moved around. They were dragging it across the frame and then popped it into the cell you can see. It did not look like they were destrying it.

Thanks Kaz
With a new queen, more than one egg in a cell is not unusual as the queen is still learning her craft. The house bees tidy things up.

I did not realise though that larvae is moved around. They were dragging it across the frame and then popped it into the cell you can see. It did not look like they were destrying it.

That is good info to know, as my new queen will me laying soon ( fingers crossed ) and if I'd found more than one egg in a cell I might have worried.

How strange that they popped it in another cell! I wonder if it kept growing? They would have had to cap it again though, wouldn't they? Bees are ace :)

They were dragging it across the frame and then popped it into the cell you can see. It did not look like they were destrying it.

Amazing. I've read that they move eggs around, but not brood.

p.s. great pics

are you sure it is not just hygienic behavior, removing DVW or varroa infested pupa

Did i notice 3 eggs/young larvae in one cell ? bottom bee cell by front two legs ... fantastic clear piccy :)

it's a pupa not a larva. presumably diseased/dead and being removed (a la ron hoskins).

I saw the Ron Hoskins article on TV and also had the pleasure of listening to his lecture at a local beekeepers evening. If his predictions are correct about the bees dealing with varroa than it is a great development.

That picture is superb. How do you take pictures without propolising your nice shiny camera?

Muswell I am not sure what they were doing. When I pulled up the frame to look at it they were pulling the pupae across the frame and whether, when the orientation of the frame changed, they decided to go with gravity and so pushed it into the empty cell?

DrS sorry for the incorrect terminology. I am relatively new so am still learning the terms. I suppose with caterpillars they create a pupae but the create the skin around the flesh but they don’t have the luxury of wax cells.

As to not gumming up the camera Alabamaeee, It was as soon as I opened the nuc and my gloves were clean. I have however bought a camera especially for this so if it gets messed up I don’t mind. I just want some good photos.

The cell was probably damaged when inspecting and the bees will then remove it.

flatters - larva is the "maggot" stage. Pupa is the "resting" stage where the insect undergoes metamorphosis from larva to adult. The wax cell is the "cocoon" for bees.

"A pupa (Latin pupa for doll, pl: pupae or pupas) is the life stage of some insects undergoing transformation. The pupal stage is found only in holometabolous insects, those that undergo a complete metamorphosis, going through four life stages; embryo, larva, pupa and imago. (For a list of such insects see Holometabolism).
The pupae of different groups of insects have different names such as chrysalis in the Lepidoptera and tumbler in mosquitoes. Pupae may further be enclosed in other structures such as cocoons, nests or shells.[1]"

<They were dragging it across the frame and then popped it into the cell you can see.>

Never heard of bees moving pupae about unless to throw out for various reasons.

Are you certain it didn't just fall abdomen first (the heavy part and pointy) into an empty cell as they were attempting to dump it.giving the impression they were giving it a new cell?

That pupa only had another couple of days to go before emergence anyway, so why would they bother?

Looking at the surrounding sealed cells, they appear to be at the same stage as that pupa. The cappings appear to turn darker just before emergence because the pupae are darker. with eggs in other cells it also indicates emergence is close.

I certainly don't connect it with anything to do with varroa.

Anyway, your photo' is great and should cause interesting debate. Thanks or sharing it.

Last edited:
Thanks Dr S. As a non-scientist it is good to start to understand the terms.

Huntsman, All I can say is; when my son and I were doing the inspection we lifted the frame out and this pupa was being pulled across the frame. We may well have just caught the moment when it was being pulled out to be jettisoned and us lifting the frame by 90 degrees stopped it from dropping, but as you can see, even taking the weight into account ,the pupa was definitely pushed into the cell. I could have a look in tomorrow and see what happened,, but disturbing them two days on the trot is not ideal.

Rockdoc, Thanks, but no lens, just a point and click. A Cannon IXUS 220HS. I took 5 shots and one came out OK. I did chose the camera especially since it will focus down to 3cm

Latest posts

Back