Permission to set up apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moby

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Has anyone written a letter asking to set up an apiary in some dead space in their local park / Council land? I have found some space and have a contact name but need some ideas to make a persuasive pitch any advice would be greatly appreciated

is this land open to public access?

No as far a I can tell it is not open to the public - it is earmarked for a park and ride facility in about 5 / 6 years time

I am also told that the farm land opposite is also owned by the same council but is rather exposed to the public eye

Something like:

Dear Sirs,

I am an experienced local beekeeper and am seeking a site for an apiary. I have been told that the land at X might be available for the period until it is converted to a park and ride facility.

I have been working to increase my number of hives, through division and by collecting swarms, providing a useful public service, and preserving a valuable resource for the pollination of local farms and gardens. As I expect you are aware the number of bee colonies in England has decreased during the last few years and I am working to help slow this decline which is threatening the productivity of local farms and market gardens. I am on the list of swarm collectors and known to your Council Pest Control Department and the local Police.

The land in question would be very suitable for this activity, having easy road access, but being an area where the hives will not be visible to the public and those who might seek to vandalise the hives. It is also remote enough from houses to avoid one of the problems of the urban apiarist which is that bees can cause spotting to washing and cars in their vicinity.

I have consulted with the heads of X and Y Schools and they are keen to take up my offer of providing some experience for their pupils to spread the message of the importance of bees and to promote their interest in beekeeping. I am a fully paid up member of the local Bee Association and a Member of the British Bee Keeping Association and have full insurance for my hives and public liability insurance.

I appreciate that the use of public land for this purpose might not be limited to solely myself, and, subject to appropriate assurances about safe handling and suitable bio-security measures against introducing bee diseases I would be happy for other local association members to use the site.

My hives are inspected regularly by the National Bee Inspectorate, and I would commit whatever inspection regime they would want to impose on the Apiary and to run the facility in line with their advice.

I have discussed this matter with my local councillor, Cllr Z, and he is supportive of this venture.

Yours sincerely,

Hopeful Beekeeper

cc Cllr Z.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve this is great

Don't forget to tell them you have xx amount of public liability insurance. They almost certainly wont let you do anything on their land with out it.

Ed.

Wow Steve what a great letternot worthy

Hope you don't mind if I keep a copy for possible future use.

Steve you have a real talent there. Can you write one for me to my bank asking to extend my overdraft.lol

Latest posts

Back