perhaps wasted space!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what happens in a shed enviroment when you do your inspections?
do the bees fly out and fill the shed and then what happens to all the bees that flew out when the hive was open when you shut it back up are they not trapped in the shed??

Just wondered

I was assuming the shed was a standard shed with hives inside with the hive entrances tubed to the outside so my query was when the lid was lifted for inspections the bees would come out into the shed and then not be able to get back into the hive as the entrance is outside!!

my query was when the lid was lifted for inspections the bees would come out into the shed and then not be able to get back into the hive as the entrance is outside!

Hopefully by having a single window with an opening at the top?

I've just partitioned-off one end of a shed to experiment over-wintering a weak nuc.... that's what I've done.

Last edited:
I was assuming the shed was a standard shed with hives inside with the hive entrances tubed to the outside so my query was when the lid was lifted for inspections the bees would come out into the shed and then not be able to get back into the hive as the entrance is outside!!
Bees can leave the shed either through:

• Windows with glass that leaves a gap at the top (-gaps to be closed with a hinged batten)
  • Permanent bee escape through ridge (view attachment)
'Well-Agral' in the drawing = corrugated roofing sheets

Regards
Reiner

Just cut some horizontal slits in the shed wall near the roof to let the bees escape. I also have a stable type door which I open to let them out.

I was only wondering how people managed in a shed enviroment may be something I look at in the future, waying up advantages and dis-advantages

They probably manage slightly better than in a dog house environment . . . :)

The same but more likeable (and that's no joke!) I bet you that twenty years after she died satasn is still trying to find some redeeming features so he can send her 'upstairs' - he's probably put her in charge of purgatory!!

Latest posts

Back