Perfect weather for honey production

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonforeman

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
So was wondering what the perfect weather is for honey production?

Only my second year but with 6 supers on 2 hives I'm wondering if around my area I've had the perfect weather. We've had days of warm sunshine the odd day of warm heavy down pours and then back to days of warm sunshine. Anybody with more years under their belt having their best harvest yet????

I know different parts of the country are different but interesting to know how peoples year is going

Yes been good here warm but not blazing hot to burn everything up. There’s been a good flow here for a few weeks and boxes are piling up.

So was wondering what the perfect weather is for honey production?

Only my second year but with 6 supers on 2 hives I'm wondering if around my area I've had the perfect weather. We've had days of warm sunshine the odd day of warm heavy down pours and then back to days of warm sunshine. Anybody with more years under their belt having their best harvest yet????

I know different parts of the country are different but interesting to know how peoples year is going

That is always the case.

Had my best year last year in terms of yield per hive and I am currently 10% up on that. However I have taken off the Lime already as its over whereas last year it was another couple of weeks. Borage is going well so will see how it all ends up. 2017 was about the same at this point but then it rained, rained and rained and it tailed off to an average year. Weather looks good going forward so let it flow let it flow let it flow.
6 supers is a bit excessive, get some off, mine have 4 on and I take the top 2 off regularly putting another 2 above the qe thus maintaining 4 and giving them somewhere to hang it and ripen it, they need space to do this.
Its probably just me but I don't understand these tower block hives.........who wants to turn up at an apiary and inspect 20 hives each with 7 or 8 supers on, honey spillage and squashed bees everywhere.

Had my best year last year in terms of yield per hive and I am currently 10% up on that. However I have taken off the Lime already as its over whereas last year it was another couple of weeks. Borage is going well so will see how it all ends up. 2017 was about the same at this point but then it rained, rained and rained and it tailed off to an average year. Weather looks good going forward so let it flow let it flow let it flow.
6 supers is a bit excessive, get some off, mine have 4 on and I take the top 2 off regularly putting another 2 above the qe thus maintaining 4 and giving them somewhere to hang it and ripen it, they need space to do this.
Its probably just me but I don't understand these tower block hives.........who wants to turn up at an apiary and inspect 20 hives each with 7 or 8 supers on, honey spillage and squashed bees everywhere.

Yes some of mine are getting silly now and have been thinking the same and I run out of frames supers and brood to put on. I think it’s just that I am not set up for extracting but must get more organised to extract more often.
Must admit I am not inspecting anymore though.

Very poor here. Best have two supers on but far from filled.

The classic weather is high humidity conditions, the days you feel you are melting, they are the best ones: when it pours in.

PH

Very poor here. Best have two supers on but far from filled.

The classic weather is high humidity conditions, the days you feel you are melting, they are the best ones: when it pours in.

PH

and the air is thick with the sweet smell of nectar........

In R.O.B. Manley's book, Honey Farming, (I think I read a bit of it online but can't find it now), he goes through many years (the 1920s and 30s?) and recalls how each year was by way of honey production.

I've been thinking it would be interesting to look at the weather records to see if there was a correlation with good production and higher rainfall.

I know from current experience here that no rain results in no honey.... or much less anyhow.

Depends on your local topography. Area around me is clay and retains moisture. Last year's extended heat wave was excellent, yet 20 miles away on chalk land nothing flowered due to drought. Instead of 70lbs borage honey per hive we took 15lbs per hive. Didn't even cover fuel costs.

Latest posts

Back