PayPal QR code for hedge/gate sales?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffon

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Does anybody on here use a PayPal QR code to receive contactless payments? Am I right in thinking the customer enters the amount to send, so there is no interaction needed? If that is so this seems an ideal way (well apart from the small fee they steal) to sell honey at the garden gate.

How do others sell honey from unmanned stalls in an increasingly cashless society?

I’d avoid pay pal…there’s square and similar options.

We have a PayPal GR for our honestly box sales. On ours it’s set up with two QR codes one for a single jar and another for two jars, hence the customer doesn’t have to enter an amount all they do is scan the code! 😁

I have a Zettle.. works well with my mobile phone. Very small fee per transaction and the money is safely in my account within a few hours. No monthly fees.. one off cost to buy the terminal. Mine was £23 on promotion. I think they are £32 full price... thoroughly recommend it.

We have a sumup QR code in our self-service farmshop. Works well for the most part.
Thanks all. Sumup came up when I did a search, but having never heard of them before I rather dismissed them. It appears they charge no fees for qr code transactions?

I’d avoid pay pal…there’s square and similar options.
Can ask why avoid paypal? Square fees look on a quick search more than PayPal's.

I'm a bit of a luddite, don't have a modern mobile phone etc, but even I have a PayPal account. My thinking is PayPal will be more trusted by a customer, and easier for them (and me since I already have an account). I much prefer to pay with PayPal with online transactions, I can't be the only one?

We have a PayPal GR for our honestly box sales. On ours it’s set up with two QR codes one for a single jar and another for two jars, hence the customer doesn’t have to enter an amount all they do is scan the code! 😁
Oh nice, I wondered if you could do that. Can you update the pricing linked to the qr code, or do you have to generate a new code on price changes? Do you give a slight discount for two jars? I'm still trying to figure out the price to charge per jar!

I have a Zettle.. works well with my mobile phone. Very small fee per transaction and the money is safely in my account within a few hours. No monthly fees.. one off cost to buy the terminal. Mine was £23 on promotion. I think they are £32 full price... thoroughly recommend it.
Is that a normal card reader that requires you to be present?

Last edited:
I have a portable card reader (a little smaller than a mobile) it is configured to a mobile app with bluetooth.
Every time you make a transaction you must connect the device and enter a password (the bank provides it to you with a user code, you can change it later). Finally you enter the amount and the mobile passes the data to the reader. The client passes the card and the data returns to the mobile. The income is effective between 24 and 48 hours.
Older I have something similar to a Bizum. Start session and complete customer data. An SMS or QR code is sent to the client that sends them to a page where they complete the payment by double confirmation (apart from the card details, they must open their bank application and confirm the transfer with a code).This last application does not require the client to be in person.

Can ask why avoid paypal? Square fees look on a quick search more than PayPal's.
Stripe.. Sum Up…Square….You’ll have to double check who does the qr code. At some point my partner has used those. Square is currently used for a catering business.

I’d avoid pay pal and izettle owned by PayPal. My partner has a training company and some time ago she’d been using them, they had been selling training material and had a large event taking payment through PayPal.
They contacted her and said terms had changed and as they now considered her business high risk they would withhold 30% for 3 months…..The business had run with them for some time with NO issues. They relied on the large regular events for cash flow. Having 30% withheld for no reason and without prior warning was as you can imagine a pain in the arse!
She also discovered others this had happened too, any company that can decide to arbitrarily withhold your money really can’t be relied on!
Whilst obviously sums are different it gives you an idea of customer service😂

Thanks all. Sumup came up when I did a search, but having never heard of them before I rather dismissed them. It appears they charge no fees for qr code transactions?

I'm a bit of a luddite, don't have a modern mobile phone etc, but even I have a PayPal account. My thinking is PayPal will be more trusted by a customer, and easier for them (and me since I already have an account). I much prefer to pay with PayPal with online transactions, I can't be the only one?

Oh nice, I wondered if you could do that. Can you update the pricing linked to the qr code, or do you have to generate a new code on price changes? Do you give a slight discount for two jars? I'm still trying to figure out the price to charge per jar!

Is that a normal card reader that requires you to be present?

Yes I think you would have to generate a new QR code, we sell our 8oz jars for £4.50 each or two for £8.

Is that a normal card reader that requires you to be present?TThe
The Zettle is a card reader .. you can do remote transactions with it but you do need a mobile phone as it requires a connection to the internet. Sadly, you have a lot more options available if you move into the 21sr Century and get yourself a mobile device of some sort. I have a Samsung Galaxy, affordable, loads of memory and not too complicated for a septuagenarian.

Stripe.. Sum Up…Square….You’ll have to double check who does the qr code. At some point my partner has used those. Square is currently used for a catering business.

I’d avoid pay pal and izettle owned by PayPal. My partner has a training company and some time ago she’d been using them, they had been selling training material and had a large event taking payment through PayPal.
They contacted her and said terms had changed and as they now considered her business high risk they would withhold 30% for 3 months…..The business had run with them for some time with NO issues. They relied on the large regular events for cash flow. Having 30% withheld for no reason and without prior warning was as you can imagine a pain in the arse!
She also discovered others this had happened too, any company that can decide to arbitrarily withhold your money really can’t be relied on!
Whilst obviously sums are different it gives you an idea of customer service😂
I've never had a problem with paypal .. their terms are published but they are designed to protect both buyer and seller. I've had good experiences in both respects using paypal for both sales and purchases. Zettle may be owned by paypal but it's a separate entity and I've not heard anyone say anything detrimental about it. I've certainly been well pleased with them. Each to their own .. my experience has been positive.

The Zettle is a card reader .. you can do remote transactions with it but you do need a mobile phone as it requires a connection to the internet.
But how do you use/setup a card reader on an unmanned stall?

But how do you use/setup a card reader on an unmanned stall?
Zettle is a device similar to the one I have.
1. The device is linked to the mobile via bluetooth.
2. An app is downloaded to the mobile, mPOS in my case, although my bank also has an app for POS.
3. A client code and password are requested (it is recommended to change it) that can be provided by your bank or external services.
4. Connect bluetooth, turn on the device and open the app.
5. Enter your data (code and password).
6. Specify the amount and select charge all this by card in the mobile application
7. The mobile sends the signal to the reader. Bring the card closer to the reader (or insert it through the slot if you don't have a chip). The customer enters his password and confirmation is sent to the mobile app.

Last edited:
@buffon thanks for bringing this up.

I use SumUp for manned stalls but never really looked into the QR code side of things. I shall try it out this week.

An added incentive is that it looks like the usual SumUp commission is waived for these sales 😀

Does anybody on here use a PayPal QR code to receive contactless payments? Am I right in thinking the customer enters the amount to send, so there is no interaction needed? If that is so this seems an ideal way (well apart from the small fee they steal) to sell honey at the garden gate.

How do others sell honey from unmanned stalls in an increasingly cashless society?
Unfortunately, in order to use the Paypal QR code - the customer has to have the paypal app on their phone in order to use it ...

I don't know if the paycomet platform is available for the UK (which is the one I use through my bank).
According to its website, for monthly operations of less than 2,000 euros the cost is 19 euros. From there 0.5% + 0.09 cents per operation.

Unfortunately, in order to use the Paypal QR code - the customer has to have the paypal app on their phone in order to use it ...
Reading around this seems to be the case which is....silly. Whereas sumup takes you to a webpage, but the catch is they don't accept PayPal payments. I guess one could provide two QR codes for PayPal and non-paypal customers. I'm tempted to just provide my PayPal email address so that people could then send the money at home.

Last edited:
PAYCOMET is a web page that works as a payment environment and does accept paypal. Its developers plan to integrate more than 400 forms of payment (cards, banks, PayPal, etc.).

Latest posts

Back