Paynes National Poly Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winker

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Mr Payne sent me 2 free poly supers today! Thank you Mr Payne! I never asked for them nor did complain after my first complain about the holes left in the tops of the hives walls. Which we agreed i would fill with poly repair kit, that he was sending out free of charge.

It looks as if Mr Payne has fixed his manufacturing problem with the holes and sent me 2 free supers to show me. After complaining like a banshee about them on here, i can now confirm that they are no longer an issue and I would now be willing to buy more of his hives

Well done Mr Payne for taking onboard constructive criticism and doing something about it.

Good customer service and sounds like teething problems ironed out - are the non-problematic impressions now in different places or just shallower/almost non-existent (presume poly allowed to cool a bit before ejection).

i'm sure many on here will now buy ready to try next season (specifying new stock on their orders!!!!). Is the now non sale price worth the difference in quality?

a good family firm with a good product, british :)

Good customer service and sounds like teething problems ironed out - are the non-problematic impressions now in different places or just shallower/almost non-existent (presume poly allowed to cool a bit before ejection).

i'm sure many on here will now buy ready to try next season (specifying new stock on their orders!!!!). Is the now non sale price worth the difference in quality?

It looks as if they are being filled by the machine after the first mould has set as they are not flush with the bevelled edge but sit slightly above it now, stopping the gap that was there on the first batch. See pictures below

original.jpg

original.jpg

Nice bit of luck, Winker.
I have to say, the repair/filler did a good job with mine but that was a very magnanimous gesture from P@ynes, two supers!!

Nice bit of luck, Winker.
I have to say, the repair/filler did a good job with mine but that was a very magnanimous gesture from P@ynes, two supers!!

Aye, i thought so too. so i wrote to thank him for it :hurray:

A very decent way to behave.

It's a shame that such people aren't more common, but in my experience they're invariably a pleasure to deal with and as a result I tend to spend my money with them rather than go elsewhere. In the end it often costs less even if their prices are higher as I waste less time messing around. Professionally I deal with a hosting company who behave with similar consideration ("I'd like to upgrade the RAM on this server." "Sure. When would you like it to be done? And there'll be no charge.") and as a result I now look after between thirty-five and forty servers there. One of my hobbies is astronomy and earlier this year I was talking to a company about the price for a new telescope, but before I ordered they had to put their prices up in response to a price increase by the importer. "But since you were talking to us about it before the rise, we'll refund the difference." So if I'm looking for other accessories, I go to them first.

In an age when so many businesses seem to be engaged in a "mad rush to the bottom", cutting every possible overhead on their way and valuing nothing other than price, many people, both buyers and sellers alike, seem to have forgotten that genuinely good service is worth way more than it costs, to both vendor and purchaser.

James

Mr Payne sent me 2 free poly supers today! Thank you Mr Payne! I never asked for them nor did complain after my first complain about the holes left in the tops of the hives walls. Which we agreed i would fill with poly repair kit, that he was sending out free of charge.

It looks as if Mr Payne has fixed his manufacturing problem with the holes and sent me 2 free supers to show me. After complaining like a banshee about them on here, i can now confirm that they are no longer an issue and I would now be willing to buy more of his hives

Well done Mr Payne for taking onboard constructive criticism and doing something about it.

Did you get my supers by accident?! I ordered a poly hive from Paynes, it came without the supers. They said they were to follow, haven't got them yet...

In a dark corner of our house, where I am not meant to tread, lurks a box with the exact dimensions and weight of a Paynes hive plus packaging.

Don't normally get excited about Christmas but I'm starting to feel like that altruistic kid on the John Lewis advert - albeit for the wrong reasons (receiving rather than giving). Will worry about the state of the supers on Boxing Day.

And how many hive formats does that make now Steve? <G>

Meant to ask, how was that Jumbo Langstroth?

Baggy (getting ready to count foundation tomorrow)

Did you get my supers by accident?! I ordered a poly hive from Paynes, it came without the supers. They said they were to follow, haven't got them yet...
The supers for my poly hives arrived today as well

And how many hive formats does that make now Steve? <G>

:rolleyes: - I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.... All 14x12s now Chris, though I have a couple of spare DNs which are going to be used for bait hives or swarm collection. The Jumbo Langstroth nuc was converted to a 14x12 courtesy of some clever interior work by RAB.

That's bizarre - looking at the pictures the ejectors appear to be arranged in corners and mid sides.

However that isn't where the problem indents were!

I intend to get a poly nuc for swarm management next season - can someone tell me when the next sales of a reputable poly nuc supplier is? From this thread I see P@ynes sale has just finished..

That's bizarre - looking at the pictures the ejectors appear to be arranged in corners and mid sides.

However that isn't where the problem indents were!

Yes - it looks as though the problem indeed is (or was) the INLET arrangements.
The similar-ish (but out-of-the-way) indents in my poly nuc have a venetian-blind stripe effect on them, which may be the inlet valve itself.

It would make sense to inject into the thinnest sections (and symmetrically around the mould) to get best mould-filling. Unfortunately, the chosen points are on the mating surface.

However, it would appear that a fix has been implemented, and these imprints aren't going to be significant - especially if the boxes are painted.

Look on this picture, just to the right of the back-centre eject pusher pin -- something small and dark down on the mould surface - that's the culprit! http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/blog/2011/11/behind-the-scenes-the-poly-hive-factory/dsc_4996/

:iagree:

you can see in the cavity on the right of that picture that the offending round areas are distinct from the projecting ejector rods - two "dots" back from the side ones are larger than the other dot detailing.

"From this thread I see P@ynes sale has just finished.."

No - It was Payne's introductory discount that has finished on the national hives. The sale is still to come. Santo Stefano will be pleased.

Last edited:
I intend to get a poly nuc for swarm management next season - can someone tell me when the next sales of a reputable poly nuc supplier is? From this thread I see P@ynes sale has just finished..

:iagree:

you can see in the cavity on the right of that picture that the offending round areas are distinct from the projecting ejector rods - two "dots" back from the side ones are larger than the other dot detailing.

"From this thread I see P@ynes sale has just finished.."

No - It was Payne's introductory discount that has finished on the national hives. The sale is still to come. Santo Stefano will be pleased.

Limited offer on Paynes 6 frame polynucs, http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/nuc-mating-hives/poly-nuc-hive/ and enter facebooknuc at checkout for 20% discount

Yes - it looks as though the problem indeed is (or was) the INLET arrangements.
The similar-ish (but out-of-the-way) indents in my poly nuc have a venetian-blind stripe effect on them, which may be the inlet valve itself.

It would make sense to inject into the thinnest sections (and symmetrically around the mould) to get best mould-filling. Unfortunately, the chosen points are on the mating surface.

However, it would appear that a fix has been implemented, and these imprints aren't going to be significant - especially if the boxes are painted.

Look on this picture, just to the right of the back-centre eject pusher pin -- something small and dark down on the mould surface - that's the culprit! http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/blog/2011/11/behind-the-scenes-the-poly-hive-factory/dsc_4996/

The fix that's in place is only a temp fix. Mr Payne tells me that once they have cleared the back orders, they are going to re-design the tooling so the problem will no longer exist.

He also went on to tell me that they are going to look at the density and see if it can be made higher than the existing 100g/litre

Latest posts

Back