Partially capped frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian_G

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all. Due to a unite in the summer I've been left with a national deep with around 8 partially filled, partially capped stores frames. I tired to encourage the bees to move the stores down for winter with some crown boards and an eke but they werent interested.

Is there anything i can do with them? Is it possible to store these frames?

Hi you could have done a quick shake test and extracted with the rest of the crop. Or even do it now if you wish. If you intend to store the best place is a freezer if you have the space, frames can be bruised and used in spring.

Hi all. Due to a unite in the summer I've been left with a national deep with around 8 partially filled, partially capped stores frames. I tired to encourage the bees to move the stores down for winter with some crown boards and an eke but they werent interested.

Is there anything i can do with them? Is it possible to store these frames?
Extract and eat.
If it’s high in water content dispense it into 1litre tubs ( incredibly useful) and put in freezer to use when needed

For future reference if you want them to clear some supers or brood frames put them under the brood box - they don’t like it there & will move it up more readily. Crystallised frames they aren’t so keen on but they will if cappings scraped and sprayed with a little water.

Towards the end of October. Left it configured that way for 2 or 3 weeks.
If ivy was in flower at that time bees wouldn't have withdrawn stores to the nest.

The cleaning of scraps is best done in the absence of a flow (and temps are high enough to bring bees above a CB hole) or under the nest as WB mentioned.

However, if you nadir scraps in late summer, make sure that wasps aren't about, entrances are much reduced and colonies are strong.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back