Paradise or abelo poly national.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

Please be aware that the 12 frames new Abelo`s plugs have been redesigned. I got two hives yesterday and I thought the plugs are faulty to look like this, but Abelo kindly answered:

"The plugs on the new 12 frame hive have been redesigned to protrude from the hive after feedback from customers that they were having problems taking the plugs out from the hive as they couldn’t take hold of them. This is not a design fault it has been purposely designed this way."

Not a big issue, but it can happen that some folk will think the same as me that they look funny. In a couple of other social media groups, people were wondering why they cannot push them completely in, so I was not alone running in circles around the newly bought hives.

Attachments

• IMG_20210527_144942.jpg
    IMG_20210527_144942.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210527_135419.jpg
    IMG_20210527_135419.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210527_105727.jpg
    IMG_20210527_105727.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210527_105743.jpg
    IMG_20210527_105743.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
How would they get into the roofspace?
Unless you've forgotten to close off the feeder holes in the crownboard
No one seems to read anything on here in detail!
WITH a C-B.......NO problem. WITHOUT a C-B BIG problem......in regard to a poly hive. I suggest 'contributors' to the posts I have made go back to what I originally said? It is in regard to having no supers on or having supers on and where to place an ABELO C-B and queen excluder in ALLLLLL circumstances, given my poly hive experiences.

Hi all,

Please be aware that the 12 frames new Abelo`s plugs have been redesigned. I got two hives yesterday and I thought the plugs are faulty to look like this, but Abelo kindly answered:

"The plugs on the new 12 frame hive have been redesigned to protrude from the hive after feedback from customers that they were having problems taking the plugs out from the hive as they couldn’t take hold of them. This is not a design fault it has been purposely designed this way."

Not a big issue, but it can happen that some folk will think the same as me that they look funny. In a couple of other social media groups, people were wondering why they cannot push them completely in, so I was not alone running in circles around the newly bought hives.
I noticed.....I thought about cutting them, but it's not that much of a problem I think. If it is.....I will!

[/QUOTE]
No one seems to read anything on here in detail!
I suggest 'contributors' to the posts I have made go back to what I originally said?
Maybe you should do the same, after whittering on about putting a QX directly below a crownboard then not using a crown board at all (madness) then all the dross in between - no wonder we're confused.

Maybe you should do the same, after whittering on about putting a QX directly below a crownboard then not using a crown board at all (madness) then all the dross in between - no wonder we're confused.
[/QUOTE]

Ahhhhh.....no longer a 'super-moderator?'
Abelo are different.....I am still assessing them. I was asked to comment. I'll shut up then! :icon_204-2:

That will make it tricky to use any kind of external insulation in winter (I know they're already polyhives, but I still like to add insulation).
At the point when you might want to think of a use for the holes, it's almost certain that you'll be manipulating the hive in some way which allows you to do the simplest thing...to push the plug out from the inside. Supersizing the plugs seems like an overreaction to me; what did they do with the vents?

That will make it tricky to use any kind of external insulation in winter (I know they're already polyhives, but I still like to add insulation).
At the point when you might want to think of a use for the holes, it's almost certain that you'll be manipulating the hive in some way which allows you to do the simplest thing...to push the plug out from the inside. Supersizing the plugs seems like an overreaction to me; what did they do with the vents?

Exactly. Of course you weren't meant to be able to grab them from the outside and pull. They look ridiculous now, and very liable to be bashed accidentally during inspections.

I hope they aren't doing this on their 11 frame hives.

Mark them with felt pen cut, remove cut to the felt line and bung them back in job done. If an entrance is needed for Demeree just use a Snelgrove type board underneath.

This is the funny thing, that the vents became too big as well! They look like those old panel speakers in a factory canteen. Ridiculous. Anyone can pull it out who wanders around the hive or you can nicely break it off.

Attachments

• IMG_20210527_105743.jpg
    IMG_20210527_105743.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
This is the funny thing, that the vents became too big as well! They look like those old panel speakers in a factory canteen. Ridiculous. Anyone can pull it out who wanders around the hive or you can nicely break it off.

...worse than I imagined. Definitely an over-reaction to criticism from beekeepers.

Expect a mark II version before long.
That'll be Mk. 3. ;) Mk 4 if you include the modified crownboard, shorter landing pad and modified roof of the Mk.2.
At least the designers are responsive to criticism; maybe the loudest voices are getting most attention?

What is this obsession some have with vents? sticking holes everywhere is just going to bugger up the bees' evolutionary expertise at sorting themselves out on that front without interference from us.
I think, once again we see the age old disease in this country of hive suppliers trying to cater for each and every whim of every casual passer by and armchair expert at whichever conference they're displaying but actually ending up not catering for many at all.

What is this obsession some have with vents? sticking holes everywhere is just going to bugger up the bees' evolutionary expertise at sorting themselves out on that front without interference from us.
I think, once again we see the age old disease in this country of hive suppliers trying to cater for each and every whim of every casual passer by and armchair expert at whichever conference they're displaying but actually ending up not catering for many at all.
:yeahthat:

If you see my post 110 in this thread you’ll see that the plugs and vents l got with this hive fitted flush in the new roof but not in the boxes. Hive number three has now arrived and the plugs have been changed to the one’s in post 141. They’re made of softer poly, they don’t quite fit flush in the roof and could be more easily damaged. :mad: I’m won’t be removing them so a few taps with my nylon hammer will keep them in place and make them difficult to pull out. I suggest others do the same unless they are planning on removing them. Aesthetically they spoil the look of the hives but as long as I’m careful I’ll just have to live with them.

I see you are choosing to 'witter on' now o_O :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

An update on my 12 frame Abelo hives.

I’ve now had bees in these hives for about 3 weeks on 11 frames and a dummy and I’m warming to them already. So far the only condensation I’ve come across is on the the hive trays under the floors and Abelo must have been expecting this because there’s holes in each corner. My queens are laying well and are filling up their brood frames fast. It might be because the hives are warmer or it could be because they’ve come from over wintered nucs and are raring to go. ( It’s too early to tell yet! ) I’m getting more used to the heavy flush fitting queen excluders and with plenty of smoke I’m now keeping the squashed bees down to less than six. Finally I’m not finding the rebates are too much of a problem for squashing bees.

Last night I moved 3 hives to my clover site about 10 miles away for the summer, it’s just starting to flower. The Abelo’s were no bother to strap and close up for moving, although they are a little bit bulkier than my Smith’s. I removed the under trays and raised up the hives to provide plenty of ventilation in the car. We are having a good spell of weather here at the moment and the last photo was taken at 21:30 just after the hives had arrived.
8E59381C-E4DF-4577-A43A-E289D6136BA7.jpeg98802181-288F-4275-8BB0-86A540F81AE3.jpeg

Last edited:
These 12 frame boxes. I might try one and simply remove the QX which is the single thing putting me off

Latest posts

Back