Paradise or abelo poly national.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love those. I’ve glued a bee space eke on top of mine to make them top space. My wooden hives have their deep roofs too
I don’t think I’ve ever seen their poly hives on sale.
Processing kit often is.
I emailed Abelo recently and managed to get a discount as I can't make it to the show in February, I think I got around 15% discount and that was just on 3 12 frame hives

I emailed Abelo recently and managed to get a discount as I can't make it to the show in February, I think I got around 15% discount and that was just on 3 12 frame hives
I was excited to see a top space poly National. Unfortunately it has the shallow roof and those locking lips. That’s exactly how I started with Modern Beekeeping hives in 2008 and I abandoned them pretty quickly.

I was excited to see a top space poly National. Unfortunately it has the shallow roof and those locking lips. That’s exactly how I started with Modern Beekeeping hives in 2008 and I abandoned them pretty quickly.
I don't fully understand the reasoning behind the locking lips.
Supposedly they prevent the boxes moving when stacked, but this has never been an issue for me.
For me the negative effects far outway any advantages.
Some people must like them though as they still sell them.
I am planning on buying the earlier 11 frame model.

I don't fully understand the reasoning behind the locking lips.
Supposedly they prevent the boxes moving when stacked, but this has never been an issue for me.
For me the negative effects far outway any advantages.
Some people must like them though as they still sell them.
I am planning on buying the earlier 11 frame model.

I think the interlock was partly a response to criticism by some people who experience what they considered to be excessive water ingress at the joints. It's also an evolution from the same system that is used on their six-frame nuc-boxes, (which really are half-size hives).
The combination of interlock and no overhanging roof makes this hive much more amenable to transportation, being more square to butt against another hive, and it is also going to be easier to handle them manually. But I assume that any such advantages are of low priority to most of us amateurs and professionals may be less likely to be able to justify the high price.

Whenever I see online videos of any hive with such a recess I'm usually disappointed to see the pathetic outlines of a lot of previously crushed bees.

This lady manages ok.

IIRC, the poly Langstroth that Abelo sell also has a lip and then there's Maisemore poly nucs with the same feature. It can be a nuisance but thicker walled poly hives are a bit like that as well, closing up a hive bursting with bees can be quite tricky but a bit of smoke helps save lives.

I use the deep roof and broods (no supers) and the shorter entrance floor from the V2 hive (plus feeder as perm CB), great units. After testing just about every national poly hive on the market.

Moved these about a fair bit last year, zero issues and robust.

I use the deep roof and broods (no supers) and the shorter entrance floor from the V2 hive (plus feeder as perm CB), great units. After testing just about every national poly hive on the market.

Moved these about a fair bit last year, zero issues and robust.
Even though I haven't tested this one out yet I am already thinking that I may reconfigure my next purchase.
Not sure yet, probably the version 2 but with a deep roof.
I shall wait to see how I get on with this one first.

second version has bigger, scalloped hand holds so less poly
Advantage is the handholds are on all four sides of the box. The original V1 had shallow indents on two sides, better than the small scalloped handholds on unmodified Nationals, but still awkward when heavy.

Most effective and ergonomic handhold design is the Honey Paw Lang, which allows the box to be held horizontally or vertically, yet loses minimal wall thickness.

Honey Paw brood Lang pic.jpg

https://www.modernbeekeeping.co.uk/langstroth-brood-box-1

Last edited:
That's version 3.
I'd stick with version 1 boxes, the second version has bigger, scalloped hand holds so less poly. Swienty did the same when they brought out their inferior designed version 2.
I didn't realise that about V1 and V2....I'm off to check mine. :)

being late to the beekeeping party, mine are all V2. Can you even buy the earlier version now? A couple of years ago I was given a Type 1 hive as a reward for some work I did for a friend and those boxes have hand-holds all sides,

Latest posts

Back