Paradise or abelo poly national.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was foolish really as my purchase was in response to a review on you tube by Black Mountain Honey
The presenter was praising the hive and saying how good he thought it was.
So I was tempted
However at the time of his review he hadn't tried using it with Bees in !
I should have been more patient.

Santa has said I can have a new Beehive for Christmas.
So I have decided upon the 11 frame abelo deep roof hive.
As I won't be using it till spring time is it worth waiting for the January sales?

As I won't be using it till spring time is it worth waiting for the January sales?
I love those. I’ve glued a bee space eke on top of mine to make them top space. My wooden hives have their deep roofs too
I don’t think I’ve ever seen their poly hives on sale.
Processing kit often is.

I love those. I’ve glued a bee space eke on top of mine to make them top space. My wooden hives have their deep roofs too
I don’t think I’ve ever seen their poly hives on sale.
Processing kit often is.
How does that work with the still remaining, bottom bee-space?

Last January they had some deals, but I think it was for certain poly-hive combinations that they wanted to promote, rather than for separate components. I know that I spent a few hundred quid (with the full knowledge and 100% complicity of my partner). ;)

Well the brood only ever fits on the floor where it doesn’t matter or on top of a QX in a Demaree where it equally doesn’t matter
I could see that was the only location it would work. Don't you ever have more than one Abelo box in a stack?

No
They are 14x12
That's a very economical use of an excellent system. Even though the roofs are brilliant, I'm not buying any more of them and just making them from PIR as it's so easy. Since I've discovered Swienty, which is a poor relation to the Abelo but light and cheaper, I will use those for any additional, non-brood shallows.

That's a very economical use of an excellent system. Even though the roofs are brilliant, I'm not buying any more of them and just making them from PIR as it's so easy. Since I've discovered Swienty, which is a poor relation to the Abelo but light and cheaper, I will use those for any additional, non-brood shallows.
I have a lot of Swienty supers ( top space by leaving the runners out)
I don’t like the broods much but have four as spares.

I have a lot of Swienty supers ( top space by leaving the runners out)
I don’t like the broods much but have four as spares.

That's a simple enough fix for top bee-space; were it not for your partiality to that modification we would have something we agree about. ;)

Last January they had some deals, but I think it was for certain poly-hive combinations that they wanted to promote, rather than for separate components. I know that I spent a few hundred quid (with the full knowledge and 100% complicity of my partner). ;)

with parcel delivery being slow at present due to Bank Holidays and strikes I will wait till the new year.
If they have a sale that would be great, but if not its no major issue.

Some excellent ideas on here.
Thanks everyone

with parcel delivery being slow at present due to Bank Holidays and strikes I will wait till the new year.
If they have a sale that would be great, but if not its no major issue.

Some excellent ideas on here.
Thanks everyone

When you do order from Abelo, delivery speed and costs are excellent. You will never regret buying their boxes and roofs.
Although, as said many times elsewhere, bees will live in any box, as an almost human I also appreciate ease of handling, cheerful colours and precision manufacturing tolerances. I even find uses for the much maligned trapezoidal plug/vent in the side. Currently, all my stacked, stored boxes of frames have the vent in them in order to keep air flowing to reduce condensation and mould. One colony is going through the winter in a deep box with the plug removed and the hole used as the entrance.

Just a few weeks ago they had a sale on and I bought an additional 12 frame ploy hive. On sale the cost was £172. As a beginner BK, I find them easier to manage in terms of weight/lifting/moving compared to wooden.

The delivery, service & returns is very good.

I would recommend them.

Latest posts

Back