Pampas grass pollen.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webby

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
2 at the moment.
Hi all,
Went to have a look at my bees a while ago and saw a lot of pollen going in and they looked very busy at the entrance. As I went to check my post box I heard a lot of humming. Then noticed our pampas grass was covered in bees, all had large amounts of pollen. 50 or 60 I would say we're on it. Looks pollen rich and as I'm a first season beek I didn't know this. Never seen bees on it before I had them. Is this well known? Must be a good source for them running into autumn.
Sam.

Bees will collect pollen from almost anywhere, but it can be in short supply at this time of year when there's so little in flower, so they're lucky to have a rich source nearby.

Any chance of a picture?
What type of pampas grass is it? Might be worth growing a few plants.

Any chance of a picture?
What type of pampas grass is it? Might be worth growing a few plants.
How do I upload? I'll try. Just looks like a normal type common pampas grass to me.

Tried uploading a pic but must be too big? Just an iPhone photo?

Pampas Grass pollen is unlikely to contain a complete or balanced set of essential amino acids needed by the bees

Pampas Grass pollen is unlikely to contain a complete or balanced set of essential amino acids needed by the bees

But that's fine unless they're in the middle of hundreds of acres of land containing only pampas grass.

Does Almond contain all the essential amino acids needed by the bees?

It's only one plant in my garden. The nearest house to me is half a mile away so there won't be pampas grass everywhere. I'm sure the bees know what they're doing.

Protein content of pollen seems very variable and has little to do with attracting bees

No more or less likely than any other sort of pollen according to this paper

https://www.researchgate.net/profil..._Phylogeny/links/54f4de6b0cf2eed5d735a60b.pdf

Bees are well known to collect pollen from wind pollinated plants - mine work the hazel catkins in the spring most years.

Yes, get yourself a new hearing aid, the bees love the gorse here.

And mine were all over the lucerne... alfalfa.
Then the lecturer also said that honeybees were not a native species to the British isles!

Thoroughly interesting lecture tho!

Yeghes da

Spotted mine collecting it off sweet corn plants yesterday, filling their pollen bags they were.
E

Latest posts

Back