Painting Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David. Cae Glas

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Newbie question, if already answered eslewhere please forgive me.

Have just about finished putting my hive together and was wondering if I should treat the wood, any views?

All the best,

Hi David,
if it's not cedar then definitely but preferably something that isn't laced with insecticides. In any case you only treat the outside surfaces.
With cedar it's got more natural preservatives but personally I don't think it does any harm to add a top up, but not strictly necessary with something new.
All the best
Chris

Hi David. Welcome. Depends on wood. Red cedar stands up to the environment well on its own but most timber benefits from a protective coat. Cuprinol wood treatment has been advertised as 'bee friendly' but there has been some concern aired elsewhere recently on this forum, as the manufacturers have apparently changed the ingredients.

I personally have used teak oil to good effect (making sure that it is dry and weathered before bees are intoduced) although I could get no guarantee that it was bee-safe. Linseed oil has been used. Paint can be used, if you are one for pretty colours. Paint may be a poor choice (especially with cedar, as the wood should 'breathe').

Don't coat the insides. Avoid anything that has insecticide, obviously. I would suggest that most wood-treatments that are free of insectiides may be suitable and a call to the manufacturer *may* confirm this (but don't build your hopes up)! Manufacturers' toxicity data is informative.

Last edited:
Linseed oil. OK with all types of timber. Repeat coating from time to time. Don't need anything else.

try looking at the hive painting sticky i did last year, it will have every single meathod and type of paint in it for you to make a decision,

but dont be afffraid to ask any question, we will always help you out.

also where abouts in wales are you

Thanks for the responses, its good to know that there is wealth of knowledge out there that can be tapped.
Will check painting stickey.
I live in Pembrokeshire, some 6 or so miles west of Haverfordwest.
Once again thanks.

Latest posts

Back