Painting hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
might get hot in summer, black absorbs more heat, could lead to swarming if hive temp gets too high.

If your hives are cedar then there isn't any real reason to paint them. Otherwise linseed oil, mixed with a little melted beeswax preserves them nicely.
In strong sunlight the hives are going to get very hot with any dark stains on them.

Hives are home made, mixture of ply and various wood recycled from skips etc, given the temps here at coast of N Ireland it would be good if they got a bit hotter, but I take your point. Is that the only reason I've never seen a black beehive?

And old guy near me used to paint his hives with a mix of creosote and used engine oil!

I work on a good number of hives that have a very dark stain on them weekly during the summer . Yet to see one abscond because of it overheating .

G

all my hives are black, no problems but black does heat up quicker and cools faster than bright colours

All mine are painted with Sanxxxxx ebony and they are doing well. Merge nicely with the background, especially at this time of the year - when green tends to shout at you.

And old guy near me used to paint his hives with a mix of creosote and used engine oil!

Considering how tetchy bees can get when the beekeeper is a bit whiffy, either with too much deodorant or body odour, I wouldn't like to think how a mixture of creosote and engine oil might affect them.

Considering how tetchy bees can get when the beekeeper is a bit whiffy, either with too much deodorant or body odour, I wouldn't like to think how a mixture of creosote and engine oil might affect them.

Soaking the whole hive parts (like the BB) in real (banned) creosote (so well-covered inside and out) was once 'traditional' ... :eek:

Paint it black?
It would look strange, but something I've wondered about was painting one side of the box black. Then that side could be faced South for winter and North in Summer.
Because of the sun being lower in the sky, the colour of the hive sides should make more of a difference in winter than in summer (when the colour of the roof gets important).

My query is really if there is a problem with black hives, I don't care what they look like and as I'm making them myself and this is top notch exterior stain I think they'll all get a coat ot two of it. Question really is do I have to then overpaint with whatever pastel shade I can get for nothing or are they ok black

(could add a bit of green and brown and go camo ...)

Blacks fine , blends into the background better than you think , especially if security is an issue .
Raised temps in the hive not a problem.
G

Stephen - I think they will be fine painted/stained black. I regularly see a lot of black/very dark brown hives. In fact I could introduce you to a man who still coats the outside of his hives with the proper old fashioned creosote and he probably runs well over 40 hives.... and before anyone comments, no, his honey does not taste of creosote!

colour is no problem the chemical contents does, read the labels and anything with pesticides forget it, wood stain does not necessarily mean it will protect your hives

BBKA leaflet L007 "The Care of Wooden Beehives"

what if its chemical free paint i was thinking of dipping them have seen someone in america who dips his hive with paint and fungicide mixture as he has thousands of hives to do every year

Latest posts

Back