Paint the hive or not?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jez100

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I just wondered after making up some new hive boxes should I paint them with ronseal fence line I found in the shed. Will it extend the working life of the cedar or is best left untreated.

Many thanks

Jez

I think that is one of the liquids not suitable for hives. They shouldn't need it.

Try cuprinol clear or cuprinol garden shades. I've used clear for years, however treat it 4 - 6 weeks before you put bees in to allow odour to reduce.

Will it extend the working life of the cedar or is best left untreated.

Good quality cedar needs no treatment at all to extend it's life, but you can treat it for cosmetic purposes if you wish.

I just wondered after making up some new hive boxes should I paint them with ronseal fence line I found in the shed. Will it extend the working life of the cedar or is best left untreated.

Many thanks

Jez

Cedar CAN be left unpainted.
It ages gracefully to a sort of silvery colour. But will still last for many many years.
Its natural weather/rot resistance is one of the reasons it is chosen for hives.
But if it isn't cedar ... it probably NEEDS painting.

Cuprinol Clear gives a yellower (honey coloured?) 'newer-looking' finish to the wood. And the 'Shades' give you a wide colour choice, if that matters.
And they are known to be fine with the bees (once they are dry!)

I remember a particularly bad nosema infected colony one year. Nicely decorated - bee artex, if you will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I paint my lesser quality cedar hive parts with Cuprinol shades. and the good quality red cedar I lightly oil with boiled linseed oil which retains the deep natural red of the cedar and shows off the grain really well. It's all purely aesthetic as cedar doesn't really need treating in any way because it's retains its natural oils and lasts for years.

In my opinion, beekeepers are over anxious about paint..

After all, creosote was used in the Alps in the Alpine hive - dipped and soaked in creosote baths - and weathered for 6 months before use. Thousands of hives used with no issue.

I use whatever is available and weather outside for a month before use. Not creosote tho...

According to an ancient bee keeper friend of mine, bees used to LOVE creosote.
Also says that the best colours are greens and browns.
I suppose that would make the ideal hive a hollowed out telegraph pole.

some of the hive boxes I inherited last year were completely soaked in creosote, inside and out, the colonies had been in them for years and seem healthy enough though.

Not that I'd use it for any new boxes, and I will be changing them this year as they have other problems (like some dimensions being up to 1cm out!)

According to an ancient bee keeper friend of mine, bees used to LOVE creosote.
Also says that the best colours are greens and browns.
I suppose that would make the ideal hive a hollowed out telegraph pole.

I use only green or brown -- not because I like the colours or the bees prefer them... but they are less conspicuous: anything not to attract thieves or other such ne'er do wells....

After all, creosote was used in the Alps in the Alpine hive - dipped and soaked in creosote baths - and weathered for 6 months before use. Thousands of hives used with no issue.

Creosote WAS greatly used in the UK on beehives.

But then, lead was added to petrol and used for drinking water pipes.
Just because I've never personally met anyone known to have been harmed by any of these things doesn't mean that I think they are a good idea to use.

Mine are home made Redwood so they are painted with garden shades to protect them. I don't like wood that goes grey so all my bought cedar supers get a coat of ronseal five year clear treatment and left to air for a few months before use (fussy)

In the middle of winter I may use Ronseal clear on the hives, with bees in, with no problem. It is only way I can be sure all my boxes get treated.

I think anything oil based or spirit based needs to be left out for months to air & dry properly, water based will dry quicker. I use creosote on bird boxes just on the outside & they say you are not supposed to, but I leave them for a year before putting them up & they are fine. If I was doing a hive I would just do the outside & leave for a month or so until there are no fumes, only thing is a hive coated with creosote would get very hot in summer if in full sun.

I think anything oil based or spirit based needs to be left out for months to air & dry properly, water based will dry quicker. I use creosote on bird boxes just on the outside & they say you are not supposed to, but I leave them for a year before putting them up & they are fine. If I was doing a hive I would just do the outside & leave for a month or so until there are no fumes, only thing is a hive coated with creosote would get very hot in summer if in full sun.

An insulated roof works wonders on any hive...

Thanks for the replies I think I'll just do the ones that are looking a bit tired

Many thanks

Jez

image.jpg2_zpst6vabksh.jpg

Just completed my Joey Dunlop black and yellow theme hive. What u all think ? It's up in the Dundrod area near the Ulster Grand Prix course. The bikers are going to love it. Not too bothered being discreet. It's empty at the moment and I need to source new tenants for it to keep the neighbour in the red box company. Is there anyone selling locally ?

I paint most of the hive with Ducksback, also paint queen excluders red, clearer boards light green, and name queens on coloured tags! One day I'll get round to painting crown boards blue, but they usually can't be seen.

BpmARCzCQAAf4Yn.jpg

Latest posts

Back