P*y**s Poly Nationals

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One other obvious thing that occurs to me about the design is what to do about putting mouseguards on them. I use castellated mouseguards drawing-pinned on for the winter.

But with the Pay*es design instead of there being a long flat area above the entrance there are two massive cutouts. I guess I'll still be able to use the castellated mouseguards but with a bit of faffing to fill the gaps left by the cutouts. But if there's a better, more obvious solution I'm all ears.

Gerry

Come to think about it, I think I had dismissed them because they looked a bit flimsy. That seems to have been borne out by Polyhive's unfortunate experience.

Thanks for the pointer! :)

Not sure what could have caused PH's damaged super, possibly a FedEx driver trying out trampoline skills? (PH - I'm sure they will exchange anything faulty, service seems pretty good).

They certainly don't seem to be flimsy in any way. Must admit I've not attempted jumping up and down on top as I don't see the point in testing them for something that's never going to happen, but I'd be surprised if they failed that.

Apart from the excessive moulding holes on the early models, (now rectified I believe), I think they are nice and sturdy piece of kit.

mouseguard wise i presume they'll need to have one either pinned to an entrance block with long slot OR use entrance block with vertical pins in the entrance slot

Two points here.

They did not offer to exchange and I did not ask them too as I reparied it as I said.

2nd. I have stood on it, and am currently at 15st blush... and losing it. However they are sturdy, no argument.

Mouse guards... hang on...the entrance is 21mm high which to my mind is a design error as 8mm works fine for the Swienty design which in turn means no need for a mouse guard.

Why the brood box has these cut outs I have no idea and again I think they a flaw, but there they are. I would make plywood mouseguards and put one on each side. I have used these home made ones for some time now and not had a failure yet.. famous last words...LOL

Beezer they are not flimsy, anything will break if hit from the "wrong angle" at the right power. Having seen the oddest things broken offshore I know this to be true.

PH

Mouse guards... hang on...the entrance is 21mm high which to my mind is a design error as 8mm works fine for the Swienty design which in turn means no need for a mouse guard.

I don't know but my guess would be this was to make them compatible with wooden entrance reducers.

Probably yes but that is to no avail, a bit of sponge works fine.

PH

i would imagine that once they realise the flaw re mouseguards they'll redesign the broodboxes with a full thickness strip around the bottom edge on all 4 sides when they next update the moulds. (as they have done with the nucs re entrance hole).

Latest posts

Back