Oxalic use by date

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 plus a few 14x 12s, nukes and apidea
just noticed the date on my Oxalic Crystals, been stored waterproof/airtight container. Should I bin them ?

picture.php

Usually ok if not gone dark in colour.

Oops- just used pastry from freezer dated March 2001 - such a slut!

Just noticed crystals not liquid- think will be fine.

They look pristine, crisp and clear. Very tempted to use them again this year.

I think the crystals should be fine. They may have gained or lost a trace of water, but not enough to make any difference to the bees.

After making up into syrup, the solution does not store for very long at all. (And the sugar gives brown and bee-toxic HMF.)
If you need to store syrup solution for a couple of weeks, store it in the fridge - with a hazard label that is UNMISSABLE-!!!

will be ok probably two years old before bagging anyway, we use tons of it you always find the odd bag a few years older than your stock

They look pristine, crisp and clear.
They are fine.

Unsealed, it could be affected by water (which would affect the weight accuracy) and as already said, made into a solution with sugar there is the risk of forming HMF. As it is, I would trust freshly made solution from these crystals more than I would a bought in solution that has been sitting around in a warehouse or on a retail shelf for months.

Food has to have a date, and pharmaceuticals, but this may be only for stock control purposes. There's a use by date on the salt in my kitchen. It has been salt for over 200 million years since it crystallised from seawater. If I don't use it, it will still be salt long after the kitchen has disappeared.

Usually ok if not gone dark in colour.

Oops- just used pastry from freezer dated March 2001 - such a slut!

Just noticed crystals not liquid- think will be fine.

Remember having a meal at yours 2 weeks ago,felt fine afterwards,mind you we didn't have pies !!!!

Latest posts

Back