Oxalic trickling losses after treatments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johna,

OA is NOT allowed in the UK at present - officially.....

Firstly, I strongly object to your ignorance comment. While oxalic is a generic substance and therefore not 'VMD' approved makes little difference to the fact that ten years ago the bee inspectorate certainly did not regard oxalic acid treatment as anything more than 'must not use' but in recent years have actively encouraged its use for the treatment of varroa infestations - even to the point where they recommend winter trickling as a means of protecting ones bees (if one knows no better, presumably). That to me is fairly official, well documented and pretty well accepted by most. Or are you suggesting that all those using oxalic acid are breaking some law? Now that would be a bit of a problem!

It is, if you read the FERA document, acceptable as long as it is not found to be contaminating the product from your hive (routine honey testing) - just like thymol etc.

So one can likely use just about whatever you like as long as you are not offering honey to anyone else? Just like using a grotty mild steel/galvanised extractor for your honey collection, etc etc. The routine honey testing appears to be within the rights of FERA but that may be a legal problem if not actually harvesting any honey from those bees (like no supers on the hive)?

Efficacy has nothing to do with it as far as I am concerned; there are treatments which may be just as efficient but would leave behind unacceptable traces of pesticide residues, even if only in the wax; there are treatments which may have lower efficacy but could be repeated at very short regular intervals.

I do hope that you are not so s----d as to assume that I do not treat for varroa whenever necessary (that is how I avoid seeing all those nasties you refer to in summer). My comment that you must have been using it before the bee inspectorate condoned/allowed/promoted/whatever still stands. Either that or you were not telling the truth in your previous post.

Further,
Because the winter is a BROODLESS period the mites

Wrong again! Don't be so parochial. See Bob's post on this thread:

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21932

Hivemaker has used OA 8 years

I think you had better ask the man, not go quoting unsubstantiated mistruths like that.

I did'nt think it would be long O90O before you degenerated the discussion into a slanging match which has very little to do with OA treatment and exibits your offensive and abrasive nature. My statement concerning the LEGAL position of OA in the treatment of bees is correct. The fact that it is tolerated by the ministry/FERA is purely bowing to public pressure. As I've said to you before, being offensive merely reflects on yourself.Being offensive does not win arguments.

Webstern does not yet know what means 2-hive owner

In that case I'd advise that you cease to use it as a means of reference and use Google.

Hi Johna,
Thanks for trying to retrieve the situation. I am interested in beekeeping rather than arguing and I have found from my own inspection trays on four colonies that going by the natural mite drop I probably did not need to treat all of them. Since Hivemaker's pic last summer demonstrated so eloquently how unreliable natural mite drop is as a true indication of the strength of varroa infestation I treated all of them. On the basis of Finman's mite table my bees would have been heavily infested by August with an average mite drop of 392 in the first week. What I am interested in is the method beeks determine that their bees don't need treatment for varroa at Christmas i.e. the broodless period. By the way I did do Thymol treatment in Aug/Sept. Thanks all.

Obviously no suggestion that you might make any sort of mistake let alone in translation... Therefore I can only assume:
a) Your deliberate use of the word idiot means you are a very rude man!
b) Your deliberate use of the word invented means....?? You are an idiot perhaps?

;-)

Webstern does not yet know what means 2-hive owner

But lets look idiot from medicine dictionary

id·i·ot (d-t)
n.
A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

I have accepted the fact that you know/knew what idiot meant and you seemed to accept that using it deliberately confirmed you were a rude man.

You still haven't explained your use of the word invented in relation to varroa.

You still haven't explained your use of the word invented in relation to varroa.

It has a good connection to "invent a wheel" when I have used it.
In another meaning I have not met here much innovations.

Most inventing and energy consumption is used how to stay in past.

sleepy.gif

Last edited:
Back