oxalic acid strength

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at this:

http://www.constructionchemicals.co.uk/acatalog/oxalic_acid.html

Oxalic Acid is used
- by those working with wood, timber & wooden beams
- in removing tannin stains
- in removing rust in automotive shops and in restoring antiques
- in rust stain removal
- Those pre-treating stainless steel
- in preparing & polishing stones & marble
- in restoring furniture as Oxalic Acid bleach
- by Fishermen lin maintaining wood on boats & quays

- by Beekeepers - a 6% solution of oxalic acid in sugar can protect against the parasitic Varroa mite

- as a purifying intermediate in pharmacy
- as a precipitator in rare earths processing

calm down calm down
only asked because it says 6% OA on the bottle but have read on here should be around 3.5 to4%. as for instructions there are none on the bottle so bad labeling. were i got it from says use it out the bottle but you lot on here had me running scared with all this % talk. :sport-smiley-002:

Gavin,did you take into account the oxalic dihydrate that Thornes sell only contains 71.4% oxalic,to make what they describe as 3.2% solution,but you describe as 4.?%:rofl:

Look.

6% and 30% sugar is an old trickling recipe what EU varroa group tested at its early start.
It took 10 years to find out best recipe. Alternatives were much.

The Ireland authority had also taken an old recipe to its new varroa order 2010.

Hi Barry,

I think the di-hydrate thing might be somehitng to do with yours being labelled 6% - but only guessing here!

However, I know plenty of beeks who have used the same stuff from Maisemore that you have got with no ill effects on their bees. Just don't use it when it starts to look like weak tea without milk.

All the best.

Meg

P.S. Moved onto straight 12% alcohol no mixers or ice to worry about. Goes well with smoked salmon and nutty brown breade and good English butter.

P.S. Moved onto straight 12% alcohol no mixers or ice to worry about. Goes well with smoked salmon and nutty brown breade and good English butter.

Not on the scrumpy and cheese yet then Meg,saving that for the morning.

I now understand why I had such an adverse reaction at 6% three years ago.

The bees dinna like it. Not at all. Oot the door like banshees!

PH

Hi Pete,

Some friends make scrumpy - never drink it if I can help it - nuff said! :rofl:

Meg

N.jpg

Hey Finman

I don't like to see you confusing people, so I'll keep correcting you when you get it wrong. Even if you resort to shouting.

No need for this though:

Gavin, can't you stop delivering your stupid ideas.

OK, I'll be as clear as I can.

The oxalic acid is *not* expressed as a % of weight but a weight % of volume. It is all in this Swiss article which is the standard one for the method.

http://www.culturaapicola.com.ar/apuntes/sanidad/varroa/acido_oxalico_tratamientos..pdf

For instance: 'The content of 45 g OA per litre sugar water was the formulation we recommended provisionally in 1999'. A litre is a measure of volume. Elsewhere the paper says 'oxalic acid dihydrate (w/v)' which means that the oxalic acid is made up on a weight:volume basis. Weight for the crystals, volume for the solvent, the syrup.

Just to add confusion, the sugar syrup is made on a weight:weight basis or a weight:volume basis. It is the same thing. 1kg sugar to 1kg water (which is also 1 litre).

Because 1kg sugar plus 1kg (or litre) water makes about 1.6 litres of liquid syrup you *cannot* work on the basis of weights to make up the solution intended, and as you don't seem to understand this you really should stop confusing people. You also need to learn to be polite to those who are trying to teach you something.

all the best

Gavin

A litre is a measure of volume.

OH! New to me. Have you heard that in in same measuring system

1 litre water=1 kg​

Have you heard that in the same measureing system

1 kg sugar + 1 kg water = 2 kg syrup​

Just to add confusion, the sugar syrup is made on a weight:weight basis or a weight:volume basis. It is the same thing. 1kg sugar to 1kg water (which is also 1 litre).

I have no confusion in my head. It is in yours.

and as you don't seem to understand this you really should stop confusing people. n[/QUOTE]

Look at my CV

Finman JHGender
Age almost 64

Nursed bees 48 years

Master Science in plant physiololgy 1974 Helsinki university

Physiology = chemistry of living organism

And I am getting emails from people whom you have confused with your chemistry KISS !

And I am getting emails from people whom you have confused with your chemistry KISS !

If you mean me, I am not quilty if your friends do not understand.

If your head is clear, it cannot be confused. I have said nothing confusing.

I have teached at least 3 years British beekeepers to use oxalic acid and allways they add their own wisdom to the EU varroa group results. I remember your addings too, Heather.

First it was against the law

then it was impossible to weigh stuff

then the stuff had clobal complications

and now, simple recipe, where is it? It has bee writed 50 times a year (once a week) into forum

I am really tired on this social game

Last edited:
bye a digital balance
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035LTRVE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=1278548962&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002GFOSU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=08F3ESYPQDWCYRM1SS2Y[/ame]

100 g sugar + 100 g water + 7,5 g oxalic agid

1 euro coin is 7,5 g.

Last edited:
I'm convinced Finman. Impressive CV, You can consider the job yours. Others can now go home now and enjoy the New Year festivities.

There will be no further job vacancies until 2011, so just polish your CVs and sit tight.
You never know, it might not be wind after all. :seeya:

(Sorry Jim, Just like a scorpion, I can't help it)

I'm convinced Finman. Impressive CV, You can consider the job yours. Others can now go home now and enjoy the New Year festivities.

There will be no further job vacancies until 2011, )

Sorry. I retired 2 months ago, and not for sicknes or mental reasons. Just age.

What vacancy. the leader of idiots?

Latest posts

Back