Ow!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marvin

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Took a sting on my ankle, last night. Within 15 minutes, I had weals all over my back and under my arms, my face puffed up so that I couldn't close my mouth and I felt my throat tightening up. Itchy all over.

Took an anti-histamine and put Anthistan cream all over the rash.

This morning, my ankle was swollen and yellow and hurt like hell.

Oh happy days...

Oh dear! Sorry to hear that. See thread re: gaiters or wellie boots to protect feet.

Hope you get better soon, a good Tip is to protect your ankles with wellies or high boots with your bee suit over

Im really glad your ok but you were really lucky you should have gone straight to hospital as soon as your mouth and throat started to swell, that really could have been very bad.

I would also make an appiontment to see your Dr tomorrow to get tested just in case.

Im really glad your ok but you were really lucky you should have gone straight to hospital as soon as your mouth and throat started to swell, that really could have been very bad.

I would also make an appiontment to see your Dr tomorrow to get tested just in case.

Seconded. You've just described a non-local (systemic) reaction, this could progress to something nastier still with subsequent stings and you should take it seriously.

dont worry about giving up there are many that have had the same issue as you but still beekeep.

One guy in my association is alergic to both bee stings and propolis but still keeps bees he is just a little more carefully now days, and also has his eppi pen near by.

Don't toy - do it. Get advice and maybe Epipen- you have had a warning- use it.
We didn't mention giving up- just be prepared.

Sorry, ex-nurses are bossy:toetap05:

Thanks, Heather
I have had an Epipen in my bucket since I started and I never go out without a telephone.
It takes three weeks to get an appointment with a GP around here. Then a referral will likely take another couple of months. It certainly is one way to cut down waiting lists.

actually thinking about what happened to me before i went on hols i must make the same appointment, had the same reaction but was from 16 stings, went to hospital had adrenalin and stuff there but now must speak to doc about getting the test done.

Please, please get to the doc and ask to be referred to your nearest allergy clinic. This is a serious reaction and you need to get yourself tested. Am waiting to be referred myself and currently don't take any chances; although the random sting was a bit cruel, I think!

Took a sting on my ankle, last night. Within 15 minutes, I had weals all over my back and under my arms, my face puffed up so that I couldn't close my mouth and I felt my throat tightening up. Itchy all over.

Took an anti-histamine and put Anthistan cream all over the rash.

This morning, my ankle was swollen and yellow and hurt like hell.

Oh happy days...

Hmmmm!

I think the advice given by others needs to be re-iterated. In anaphylaxis the most common cause of death is asphyxiation through the loss of the airway to swelling. Oral antihistamine, preferably chlorpheniramine 4mg tablets, will help. Newer generation non sedating antihistamines don't have the same mode of action and are less effective. The most important thing to do however is get to a hospital or clinical where you can be observed and if necessary be intubated to protect your airway. Any swelling around the face, mouth or throat is a medical emergency. The motto has to be; don't wait - ACT! What might appear fine one minute can catastrophically turn the next and speed is of the essence. You were lucky and we are all grateful for that. But luck is a fickle thing that shouldn't be banked on.

One thing that I would not recommend though is using Anthisan. There are anecdotal concerns that Anthisan may actually make things worse the next time that you are stung. I know that sounds strange because Anthisan is a topical antihistamine but the skin is a complex organ which is heavily populated by the first line of defence of the immune system. In lay terms, there are concerns that applying topical antihistamine confuses the immune system in the presence of the venom into making more/new antibodies which increases sensitivity for the next time around. Oral antihistamine on the other hand tackles the body's response to an over-reaction to the venom where too many antibodies have been released too quickly. This is a completely different mode (and place) of action.

A friend of mine who had bees in his back garden for years and who had been stung on a regular basics by them over the years with no problems, until he took a sting in the face a couple of weeks ago and had to be Air lifted by air ambulance to hospital, it was touch and go for a while, thankfully he is ok now after spending a few days in hospital he has been advised to give up beekeeping, very scary stuff but you must put your health first, i agree with those who say see your Dr asap don't leave it to chance.

Is beekeeping really worth risking your life for?

Sorry to be so pessimistic but you really need to consider a change of hobby if you react that badly to stings (and not even aggravating the bees at the time, imagine if the hives temperament turns bad for some reason:eek:) . Collapse in your apiary and you won't find many paramedics willing to go in after you;) Thinking you'll be fine because you have an epipen is a little irresponsibly imo

Agian, sorry to be a missery guts:rolleyes:

I would go along with most of what has already been said. However there is an article in the latest edition of Beecraft magazine which discusses a desensitization programme going on that helps people build a tolerance to bee stings.

It may be too late and there may not be anything in your area, but it could be useful to look into it.

Thanks, Heather
I have had an Epipen in my bucket since I started and I never go out without a telephone.
It takes three weeks to get an appointment with a GP around here. Then a referral will likely take another couple of months. It certainly is one way to cut down waiting lists.

Move to mid Wales. See the doctor the next day and get free prescriptions!:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Went to see the doctor, today. The 'local' allergy clinic is at Addenbrook's in Cambridge, which is an awful place, and the waiting list is over twelve months currently.

Ho hum.

Latest posts

Back