Overrun with wasps!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably within 2 or 3 hundred yards. Why not see if you find the direction that they are either coming from or leaving too, locate the nest and destroy it?

Might just do this.... these are way worse than any other year here.

What do you recommend as the best way for a novice wasp destroyer to carry out the deed? At least we can wear bee suits.

A work friend had a wasp nest in his garden. He placed something at the entrance for the wasps and it killed them all within a couple of days. I wasn't paying attention at the time to what he used..... & won't be back in work until 17th. Anyone know what it might have been?

waspinator

I've ordered up a pair of waspinator (think that's the spelling). I'll post here how I find them and how well they work (or not).

What do you recommend as the best way for a novice wasp destroyer to carry out the deed? At least we can wear bee suits.

A work friend had a wasp nest in his garden. He placed something at the entrance for the wasps and it killed them all within a couple of days. I wasn't paying attention at the time to what he used..... & won't be back in work until 17th. Anyone know what it might have been?

My son-in-law is a pest controller. They use Ficam but you may not be able to buy this.

He suggested you use Nipon if you cant get Ficam. Don the bee suit and puff the powder into the entrance. Wait 30 mins. Go back to the nest and ram a broom handle good and hard up the entrance and then puff a load more into the nest the "run like hell". Only works when no one else is arround.

I must admit that i have never heard of wasps killing bees.........

I have watched the little varments..........they wander around the landing board or on the ground below, and when an unwary bee comes near, they just jump it, sting it, take it to the ground and eat it :(

If I notice them on the ground they die by my foot, the bee is already dead.

I only get a few wasps, so not too big a problem for me.

Yours Roy

Last edited:
take it to the ground and eat it

Possibl;y but more likely carving it up into transportable size to take back to the nest to feed the larvae (and others).

Regards, RAB

So far there's not too many wasps up here just the odd one or two. However yesterday I was looking in the hive (through a polycarb board) and there was this bee dragging not only a dead bee but also a dead wasp. I don't know whether it was cos it was a clear board and so light, but she was trying to get out from the top rather that drag the bodies down through the hive. Being soft, the board was lifted ever so slightly and she made for the gap like the proverbial bullet, dropped the bodies out and returned to work.

bee-smillie

I have watched the little varments..........they wander around the landing board or on the ground below, and when an unwary bee comes near, they just jump it, sting it, take it to the ground and eat it :(

If I notice them on the ground they die by my foot, the bee is already dead.

I only get a few wasps, so not too big a problem for me.

Yours Roy

Are you sure they are wasps and not hornets? Hornets are meat eaters and so will be after the bees, wasps are more likely to be after the honey. I've got hornets again this year but they are not much bigger than the wasps - different variety from last.

Frisbee

Are you sure they are wasps and not hornets? Hornets are meat eaters and so will be after the bees, wasps are more likely to be after the honey. I've got hornets again this year but they are not much bigger than the wasps - different variety from last.

Frisbee

Definitely wasps :(

just blow a large amount of nipon powder down the hole whilst wearing you bee suit they will be dead in a week, deisel does the same thing but in minutes with the help of a match

Hi Guys,
This is my first post to the forum so bee (excuse the obvious pun which I'm sure has been used hundreds of times on this forum alone!) gentle with me. No hives yet but looking forward to getting started next year. Anyway, back to the wasps. I've dealt with a few outdoor wasp nests in the past. I wait till evening and the wasps are settling down for the night, spray the nest and entrance with spray glue for upholstery, the wasps leaving and entering get stuck at the entrance. Once it gets blocked with gluey wasps the late arrivals then get stuck to the nest and then it's petrol and matches time. If an indoor nest start with the nipon powder then use the glue,
Regards,
Torq

If you can find the nest, you may be able to pick up a can of foam wasp nest destroyer, i know that they were phasing them out, but i suspect that your local agri store will still have one or two kicking about, sorex is the best one if you can get it. Just walk up to the nest nice and calm, aim the foam at the base of the nest where the entrance holes are and blast em, then calmly walk away.

Better still if you have any pest controller mates, get them to stick the nest and pump it full of dust. :ack2:

Your mate may have been using nippon ant powder. The proffesional stuff is similar, but a stronger formulation.

as my previous post
I had the same problem last year in my garden stone wall, tried for weeks to kill the little b******s, couldnt get rid of them all, couldn't dismantle the wall,wouldn't risk chemicals, powders etc in case they went into my hives, maybe a little bit drastic but in desperation , i blocked as many entrances as i could find (With an old ripped up t shirt) then i GASSED them with the bbq gas bottle........SORTED.
just hoped nobody walked past smoking or i would have been rebuilding the wall after i collected it from next door :)

I had been reading this thread on and off since my inspection last week, and i remember thinking how lucky i was this year, not too much grief from the yellow jackets so far.

Went up this morning to an apiary with 3 hives, 1 completely overrun by wasps, could not get the roof off, there were too many of them, so i left alone.

i reduced the entrance to the next smallest colony, and then tried in vain to remove 4 supers from my largest colony, the clearer boards have been on for a week, i got one away, but within seconds i get the remaining bees out and then it fills again but with sodding wasps.

I have not seen this many wasps in such numbers, i have found two nests in close proximity, but what baffles me is what happened this week !! why the explosion of activity.

I got my trusty blowtorch out, and zapped a few, i went back tonight and put up 4 traps using the coke bottle method, but will try and get some foam or something to plug up their nests.

My son-in-law is a pest controller. They use Ficam but you may not be able to buy this.

He suggested you use Nipon if you cant get Ficam. Don the bee suit and puff the powder into the entrance. Wait 30 mins. Go back to the nest and ram a broom handle good and hard up the entrance and then puff a load more into the nest the "run like hell". Only works when no one else is arround.

Why the broom handle?

Ficam is bendiocarb, and much the same as nippon, only stronger.
Just puff some into the entrance, if you have a proper duster and can see the nest, stab it, pump it up and walk away, job done!!! No beating them with broom handles or running around like loons. :sifone:

Latest posts

Back