Our spring clean?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseCottage

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
From 5 to 2 and hopefully a better year
I guess I am a little impatient and all that...

I have left well alone through winter apart from new year OA and a placing of a single fondant as a treat early Jan.

I am guessing that the worst of winter has passed and wondered when people think they will be shifting their hives into spring configurations and taking off additional supers of sugar syrup etc?

Sam

i do think ppl are rushing, its still Feb technically, weather is up and down and we have seen hives growing very fast due to mild late Winter - if they get hive bound for more than a few days they will starve at this stage if fondant is taken off. Too cold here for syrup just yet, we are doing a final run around with a fondant refresh and pollen subs feeds, expect syrup feeds to start in 2-3 maybe.

Just my thought, there is not much forage yet anyway.

Last edited:
i presume she means the supers filled with syrup in the autumn NOT feeding extra syrup.

moving should have been done in the winter when bees not active.

If you have the choice sit on your hands. Too early yet.

PH

Poly...You're right i know but not sure with everyone else's bees a bubblin and a burstin from their hives...makes us second years a little unsure :)

Dr...I'm a bloke (not even trapped in a ladies body...) but thanks for responding. I did indeed mean Autumn feed and was interested in when I should remove the additional, unused, food supply, etc.

All,
thanks for your thoughts,

Sam (pronounced with a deep growl from his manly belly...)

Back