Other Hobbies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breeding Endangered Tropical Fish
Organic Gardening - Allotment (Chairman of Local Association)
Walking
Travelling Abroad
Beekeeping
All things VMware (heavy into virtualisation, not sure if that's a hobby, job or the Business!)
Looking "after the Business"
Lecturing in virtualisation!
Experts Exchange and VMware vExpert - Social Media Circles, Microsoft Technical Community Council
Electronic Gadgets...
Birding, digiscoping...

the list goes on.... and this Forum!

Well....you mentioned dog sledding in the post you retracted while I was composing this reply

Daughter and I went on a dog sledding safari in Sweden some years ago. We each had three dogs to look after and feed (leader had six) and we camped for five nights in the dark wilderness in January. New years eve we stood in -40˚C watching the Aurora dance.
The dogs slept outside, ate frozen cod and would engage in bouts of singing....led by the top dog...after work; it sounded like a wolf opera.
Wonderful......

The last night we all got uproariously drunk at the Jukkasjärvi Ice Hotel and the day we left the sun rose over the horizon for the first time that winter and the whole country had a party.
Wonderful......

The slowest hobby going my Austin seven restoration and my latest interest.
Would like to get back to a bit of fishing.

Attachments

• DSCN0089.jpg
    DSCN0089.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 2015-03-02 18.35.05.jpg
    2015-03-02 18.35.05.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 34
Are those wooden spoons any good for stirring up syrup mixing?

Fishing (brown trout, sea trout and salmon) both river and occasionally stillwater.
Shooting - rough shooting especially woodcock but not as often as I used to.
Hunting with our local gun pack.again, not as often as I used to
Rifle shooting
Renovating our 18th century chapel
Researching family history (my own and anybody who asks)
Gardening

I'm rather partial to sea trout..Prefer it to salmon.

Lol you can do whatever you want to do with them. That's the spoons and not sea trout that I also think it's better than salmon mainly as I was rather good at catching sea trout and never caught a salmon.

Last edited:
I'm rather partial to sea trout..Prefer it to salmon.

So do I - partly due to the fact that as a kid it was a bit like the apprentice's complaint. My father's favourite winter pastime was walking the local strams at night with his trusty salmon fork, many a morning I'd get up to see a couple of salmon laid out for me to see, got sick of them in the end.
Must admit I'm not much of a game fish eater myself - now that my grandfather and stepfather have gone (both lovers of fish of any kind) most of mine go back.

I used to do a lot of fly fishing...mainly lake...but once on a very magical night spent sea trout fishing...I saw two otters slowly hunting ...coming up stream to where I stood. I knelt down to watch them....clearly wasn't to going to catch a sea trout that night....it was amazing. Beautiful creatures. They frolicked in the pool in front of me for about 20 minutes then resumed their fishing ...passing within inches of me. The moon shone down and lit them up. I will never forget it.

Trout, sewin and bass fishing, a bit of shooting and masturbation are my main pastimes other than beekeeping, oh, and darts, pool and snooker and rugby union in the winter, watching not playing now, apart from the odd charity match, (**** it hurts, a game for youngsters definitely!)

Last edited:
Two allotments, woodturning, sailing, DIY of all types (out of necessity - could never afford to pay people to do it), gardening (under protest), jams, chutneys, preserving generally, cooking cakes and buns, keeping hens, three kids (all in their 30s' - do most of their DIY as well), reading, genealogy, car maintenance, wine and beer making, just love a walk with the dog and tinkering generally - many projects on the go, some I may never finish, that's currently - in the past the list is too long .... and I still work.

Nowadays it's classed as DIY - or taking selfies!

B&Q announced that they were closing some of their stores because we are into a generation of people not into DIY. So they must be paying somebody to do it...Will they never learn?

In no particular order - Rugby refereeing and coaching, pigeons, hens, koi, my Ridgeback and of course my family and work.

Falconry? What do you fly?

bit of everything, and nothing. :(

I had a bad year last year. My Goshawk died through a heart attack (often affects captive Goshawks in Autumn), and my young GyrSaker died when she became egg bound (the infection went straight to her liver)

I am flying a friends PeriSaker, but hope to get another bird in Autumn.

Lots of fisherman here! I enjoy a bit of fishing (Carp, Pike and Sea), but struggle to find the time.. :(

In no particular order - Rugby refereeing and coaching, pigeons, hens, koi, my Ridgeback and of course my family and work.

Gold star for calling Koi.. Koi.

Among others, I studied Ichthyology in my younger days, and one of the things that used to drive me potty is when they are called 'Koi Carp'

I thought DIY was more of a necessity than a hobby.

Fly Fishing & fly tying is my other passion although I do like bass fishing off some rocky mark on the Gower coastline.

Latest posts

Back