Other hobbies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like this obsession with bean growing is the new national hobby! Can't accuse beekeepers of not having enough fibre in their diet!

Who's tried the purple runners? My favourite but must remember to separate them when I give them to family. New family member (not properly trained at the time) chucked the purple ones out because they "didn't look right".

This year I had yellow runners too. They were supposed to be dwarf but bees might have got the (cross) pollination wrong and I had to put canes in pronto. Six foot high plants but beans were fine to eat/freeze.

I have really enjoyed these bean discussions. Have never grown a vegetable in my life, but if I ever should, it will be beans.
My current interest in terms of horticulture is preparing what have so far been lawns for meadow growing. Let one of the lawns grow this year, and the wildlife was stunning), so decided that other areas will follow, and better.
Another interest is observing and recording pre-swarming behaviour and bee dances on swarm clusters. And various other things.

Last edited:
Looks like this obsession with bean growing is the new national hobby! Can't accuse beekeepers of not having enough fibre in their diet!

Beans rule KO.

Laver is very good as well.

My current interest in terms of horticulture is preparing what have so far been lawns for meadow growing. Let one of the lawns grow this year, and the wildlife was stunning), so decided that other areas will follow, and better.

I leave large parts of my garden untended and wild just for the benefit of wildlife (that's my excuse anyway when SWMBO asks :D)

Climbing French beans for me. Not too large, always tender and easy to cook..

That adds to: yoga, running, keep fit, other gardening, cars and gin.

I leave large parts of my garden untended and wild just for the benefit of wildlife (that's my excuse anyway when SWMBO asks :D)

I used to to do that years ago as a teenager. Then the stupid cow from next door reported it to council and we got a letter asking to cut the grass. *Big rant about stupid ignorant people*

Latest posts

Back