OSR Watch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herefordshirehoney

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
3 poly langstroths
What's the OSR doing around you - any signs of turning over?

Over in Hereford first few that flowed early is now 95% green, but the ones by my bees are still vibrant yellow i'm going to say 2 and a half weeks away from turning green on those.

Green in my part of Kent - honey extracted and supers ready to go back on for cleaning. Just wondering what I am going to do with this amount of honey - they must have been working overtime...!

Eat it -bees on toast per eg?

Cook with it -honey roast ham per eg?

Give it away to friends and family?

Sell some?

Retain enough for minimum needs of next year ( might not be much next season)?

Retain some for winter feed or even autumn feed if you wish to avoid sugar syrup in your combs next spring.

Initially you are presumably going to store it -10l food grade plastic buckets are the most popular container among hobbyists.

Can't think of many other useful options, but others may add to the list. Just no imagination ...

All either green or being overtaken by green now around here.

mostly (90-95%) green here now too, but as with others the field beans are about to take over

A few fields still yellow around hives but most are turning or have turned green.
Its been my first year taking bees to OSR and although prepared was still a little taken aback at how quickly the hives can grow and amount of honey they can make!
As the hives have grown massively I will be making some splits which should be then be ready for the main flow towards end of season.
Set honey is selling well at markets and deli's so may eventually make my diesel back.
S

Green in my part of Kent - honey extracted and supers ready to go back on for cleaning. Just wondering what I am going to do with this amount of honey - they must have been working overtime...!

If you don't want it I will happily take it off your hands. lol

Totally green down here now. Field beans and hawthorn now in full flow.

Mostly green, will check in the next few days. As I need to extract the honey before moving them. It will make the job easier.

How much honey have people got and from how many hives? 5 hives so far 62Kg.

250 pound and only took a bit.. 3 hives tomorrow have got 6 full// capped supers to take off I reckon there will be 100- 150 lb to take still got another 15 to do after that

Most fields turning green fast, a few hanging on but I don't expect it to last much longer.

I had to extract a few supers the other week as I was running out so far 66kg / 146lbs and the majority to come. Looking at a possible 22 supers to extract over the next week or two and that from 10 hives.

Noticed on my trip home from Scotland last week that its just coming into full flower up there and around York it was fully out, whereas here in Kent its all over. I wondered if anyone has ever traveled with hives up the country 'American' style chasing the rape. Always seems such a waste of a crop. I know its not everyone's taste, but it does make a fine blend.

Latest posts

Back