OSR honey fermenting after creaming

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatbee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi folks, after some advice please. I've always creamed my OSR rape honey by liquefying hard set in buckets, mixing with honey paddle on a drill and then bottling. Always worked. However, two batches of last years that were 18% moisture that i did in February time have started to ferment in jar. Before I liqufyied it was a dry consistency on top. So some questions:
Does the process of liquification of granulated honey raise water content?
I've been using this year for the first time a warming draw at 40 degrees. Is that too high?
Should I liquefy or just heat until it's tacky to reduce fermentation risk?
And finally, is it best to leave to settle and scrape off the top with more air bubbles in. I bottled fairly quickly - could that be the cause?

I'm just about to start extracting this years so want to not make same mistakes from last year although tend to bucket and leave to set.

Cheers in advance

Hi Fatbee,
The process of crystalisation of the top layer in the bucket releases water around the crystals enabling localised fermentation to commence. Are you sure the lids were on properly, because that is another possibility as honey is hygroscopic.

Hi thanks for the response. I think the kids were on tight - too many for it to be that I think. Another theory is the mixing and air going in - which obviously has moisture in

Any room that you process honey in be it extraction or jarring should be as dry as possible. For example my extraction room has both a heater and a de-humidifier in and it's amazing how much water it collects.

In terms of heating I only use 36 degs and only warm it to a paste consistency before 'creaming' it with a corkscrew mixer.
Then I leave it 24hrs for the air bubbles to rise before jarring it.

Thanks for the reply. I reckon is must have picked up moisture during creaming so dehumidifier is a good point - use the kitchen which must have water in air. Plus my bottling too quickly meant air bubbles that contain moisture must have caused the problem.

Will try heating to paste next time as well

:iagree:
Any room that you process honey in be it extraction or jarring should be as dry as possible. For example my extraction room has both a heater and a de-humidifier in and it's amazing how much water it collects.

In terms of heating I only use 36 degs and only warm it to a paste consistency before 'creaming' it with a corkscrew mixer.
Then I leave it 24hrs for the air bubbles to rise before jarring it.

Latest posts

Back