OSR and Heating Cabinet?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pollybell

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I extracted about 20lbs of OSR early in the season and it is now rock hard in the bucket. I have read many posts about creaming OSR and they all seem to require a heating cabinet. This seems a little OTT for just 20lbs of honey. Is there a suitable alternative to a heating cabinet or do I have to get my DIY tools out?

Thanks in advance

Will it fit in your oven and is it a fan operated one with a digital temperature control?
I sometimes set mine at 45oC and stick small buckets in it to "melt"

Does it need filtering? If so, it will need melting completely.

I use a L*dl jam maker. Warms any bucket of honey in a regulated water bath in a few hours. A good regulated oven may be adequate.

If not needing to be filtered, you could just gently warm it until it softens sufficiently to fill into jars, or whatever you might want to do with it - eat from the bucket, maybe? - but a box with heater is not too taxing even for a beginner DIYer.

Good luck, think outside the box a bit. Plenty of alternatives.

Thanks all for the advice. I managed to extract early and did filter at that stage. I may experiment on a small amount in the oven and see what happens.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back