Orpington poultry

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a trio of chocolate Orpington bantams. The cockerel is extremely vicious and attacks every morning when I feed. I had many years ago a trio of Buff Orpingtons and the cockerel was also vicious. Has anyone else had the same problem with this breed? My other cockerels are fine, I'm thinkig it is an unpleasant trait with this breed.

Our Buff Orpingtons are calmest of the lot... been keeping them for 5 + years and never had a problem with them, on our third cockerel ( Chocklat 111) little ones can pick him up for a cuddle!!
Allowed to run amongst the orchard bees (NZ Italians and at the moment nucs of Amms) good as gold
He has 10 hens to run with..... has a bit of a shouting match with the silkie cock, but like our Amms nice to be with!!!

Yeghes da

my buff orpington cokerel was the same,everytime i fed he would also attack me.and he would crow 4:30 - 5 am every morning even in winter the crazy thing.big ginger bugger he was.lol

Orpington bantams

I don't know about the bantams but we had a beautiful black Orpington cockerel about the size of a dog. Unfortunately, we had to find him a new home when his morning wake up call began to annoy my neighbours. Now he has about 30 hens to pamper him instead of the 6 he had before.

He was very docile.

The Chocolate Orpington Cockerel, put me in the Out of Hours doctor this afternoon with a leg infection where the devil's claws pierced the skin around my knee. Very painful with red streaks radiating from the wounds. Now on antibiotics. His days are numbered if I catch him he will have his neck stretched, can't risk the grandchildren being attacked

You could try de spering him that my help with him injuring you won't help with the temperaments thow

The Chocolate Orpington Cockerel, put me in the Out of Hours doctor this afternoon with a leg infection where the devil's claws pierced the skin around my knee. Very painful with red streaks radiating from the wounds. Now on antibiotics. His days are numbered if I catch him he will have his neck stretched, can't risk the grandchildren being attacked

He'd have had the treatment long ago with me - suppose he'l make a mid afternoon snack if nothing else.
Haven't had much to do with bantams apart from a pair I was given when I was twelve but I remember my grandparents saying that they had a reputation for being feisty.
Bog standard bantam cockerels were going for a pound a piece at our local monthly auction in February - they all seemed to be scooped up by a group of gentlemen who could have been of professional interest to me (if you get my drift) maybe a link to a rumour I'd heard of a rise in interest in cock fighting?

I used to have an Old English Game rooster who was like a lamb, whereas the RIR would hit you between the shoulder blades the moment your back was turned.

I have never had such an aggressive bird before. I have had Old English Game in the past, the cock was such a well behaved boy. This Choc Orpington bant is only small and the other cockerel (Marsh Daisy) is so tearful of him even though he about 5 times bigger.

Fighting birds are in demand in Norfolk. A friend of mine lost all his Japanese equivalents to Old English Game. You can guess were they went.

Latest posts

Back