Operation Bumblebee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
Walking home from school, the kids found a bumblebee slowly crawling on the path. We brought her home, gave her some syrup - which she lapped up enthusiastically :) She is currently in my kitchen resting ( we hope ) testing her wings every so often. I'm not sure if she'll pull through, but the kids are cheering her on. It was nice to show them the bees tongue (??? I'm sure that isn't the proper word for it, correct away ) as she sucked at the syrup and see how unafraid they are of her, and how they care about this insects wellbeing :)

Does this get me in the bee savers club? I will update you on her progress. A very important operation :p

Walking home from school, the kids found a bumblebee slowly crawling on the path. We brought her home, gave her some syrup - which she lapped up enthusiastically :) She is currently in my kitchen resting ( we hope ) testing her wings every so often. I'm not sure if she'll pull through, but the kids are cheering her on. It was nice to show them the bees tongue (??? I'm sure that isn't the proper word for it, correct away ) as she sucked at the syrup and see how unafraid they are of her, and how they care about this insects wellbeing :)

Does this get me in the bee savers club? I will update you on her progress. A very important operation :p
You could get a box (the size of a tit box, put a little bedding in there, confine her where the box will be safe but viewable leave her a few days with a little honey and water in a shallow receptacle , then release her , she may adopt it and give endless pleasure all Summer long !

John Wilkison

It is interesting how after taking up beekeeping that suddenly all the other insects start to become that bit more interesting to.

Thank you John :)

Would a shoe box be adequate? I suppose not with it not being waterproof, but I don't have any other boxes to hand. The boys wanted to release her if she makes it, but this seems a better idea. Will she not harm herself trying to get out?

It is interesting how after taking up beekeeping that suddenly all the other insects start to become that bit more interesting to.

It's sweet how the boys are so concerned with this little bumbles welfare. They check on her every 10 mins or so, and have no fear at all. My 8 yr old commented that this time last year I would have gone crazy if a bee even flew near the house, now I'm carrying them in lolol

You are right TomB, I have a dog eared Collins insect ident book that would not have found it onto my shelves BB (not to be confused with BC)

try the bumble bee video about there nest making , i ve done, as for a nest we are needing something like a big plastic plant pot on the ground with a single hole in it and a large handfull of dried grass or such like and some duct tape over the lid with it being sat outside somewhere quick ish and a few things around it to keep it stead from wind and weather.

most bumble bees like to use ground leave for nest rather than up high, as for the plant pot some thing say about 200 mm round and high will do as they dont build massive nests

Well done Kaz, it's nice to know there are still people getting kids interested in the welfare of our precious wildlife.

I 'rescued' two very soggy black bumble bees from the kids paddling pool last year, I fished them out by hand and carefully carried them down to the shed (it was a cold wet day) where I carefully placed one on a board and was then promptly stung by the other as I tried to transfer it. Not being vindictive I gave them a couple of drops of syrup and left them to it; the following morning on opening the shed door I was 'buzzed' by two fluffy and healthy bumble bees on their way out. Result :D

The nice thing about bumbles is that they are grateful when you rescue them. They slurp syrup and buzz contentedly, then fly off. Rescuing a honey bee is a waste of time, we get stung every time we try.

I 'rescued' two very soggy black bumble bees from the kids paddling pool last year, I fished them out by hand and carefully carried them down to the shed (it was a cold wet day) where I carefully placed one on a board and was then promptly stung by the other as I tried to transfer it. Not being vindictive I gave them a couple of drops of syrup and left them to it; the following morning on opening the shed door I was 'buzzed' by two fluffy and healthy bumble bees on their way out. Result :D

That's interesting, I was always lead to believe as a child that bumblebees died after stinging as honeybees do.

Ahh well. She didn't make it I'm afraid. We looked this morning and she was upside down with her legs curled in. It was worth a try though. We've given her the rest of the day just in case. She was a beauty too :/

Proboscis is the right word, what type of bumble is she? Just for your children's interest - did you know that most bumbles have tongues longer than the honey bee and the common garden bumble has the longest at 12.30mm whereas honey bees have between 6 and 9mm.
This partly accounts for the different flowers they use.
Hope she survives to fly off and reproduce!
Louise

Proboscis is the right word, what type of bumble is she? Just for your children's interest - did you know that most bumbles have tongues longer than the honey bee and the common garden bumble has the longest at 12.30mm whereas honey bees have between 6 and 9mm.
This partly accounts for the different flowers they use.
Hope she survives to fly off and reproduce!
Louise

She didn't make it I'm afraid, but what I noticed was when she was eating, there was the long tube I've seen on the honeybees, but then she had this other tongue that flicked out of it. I don't know if honeybees have the same thing and I just didn't see it. I think she was a buff tailed, from the pictures posted earlier. Thanks for the extra information, I'll pass that to the kids :)

This summer I hope to build up a rappor with the large visiting spider hugeous that like to sprint from one side of my lounge to the other....
Sometimes they do look as if they want to talk when they stop and look at you, but my good wife is very antisocial towards such uninvited guests and if she is quicker than they are.......... they get treated very very badly....:smash:

This summer I hope to build up a rappor with the large visiting spider hugeous that like to sprint from one side of my lounge to the other....
Sometimes they do look as if they want to talk when they stop and look at you, but my good wife is very antisocial towards such uninvited guests and if she is quicker than they are.......... they get treated very very badly....:smash:

Lol, I have a spider nestled in the folds of the top of my curtains. It went up there this morning, and as i'm terrified of them, I can't open that side of the curtains in case it falls on me or near me. I can't squish it though, poor thing, it's not the spiders fault I'm a big girl haha

Kazmcc - spiders hate the smell of lemon. If you have any lemon essential oil (I keep it for the purpose) dab a bit on a small square of kitchen paper every metre or so in your room and leave overnight, which is exactly what the spider will do too. Failing lemon oil, thin parings of lemon zest are the next best thing. Good luck!

Kazmcc - spiders hate the smell of lemon. If you have any lemon essential oil (I keep it for the purpose) dab a bit on a small square of kitchen paper every metre or so in your room and leave overnight, which is exactly what the spider will do too. Failing lemon oil, thin parings of lemon zest are the next best thing. Good luck!

Thanks :) I didn't know that. I will certainly give it a try :)

Latest posts

Back