One size box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbeez

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi All what’s the general consensus, I’m presently using nation brood box’s and supers, would there be any benefit to just using one or the other. All brood or all supers.

I think there’s a few here who use mainly broods. If you have a strong back and an extractor that can handle them why not!

I think there’s a few here who use mainly broods. If you have a strong back and an extractor that can handle them why not!
I will check whether my extractor will take brood frames🤦‍♂😳

I inherited both so carried on using brood for brood and only honey in the supers
If I could go back in time Id probably just have brood boxes for everything and simplify it even more.
That’s exactly what I’m thinking

My extractor can only do brood frames tangentially so much slower, so I'll stick to shallows for supers.
Could be more easily persuaded to shallow for everything, but would be a lot of frames to examine as I run double brood a lot.

Use three shallows, but put 14x12 frames inside :D

James
He's not sure his extractor will do standard brood frames, what are the chances it will do 14x12's? 😄

Edit - just reread the thread. If it does brood frames tangentially it certainly won't do 14x12's!

I think we are all guilty of trying to reinvent the wheel sometimes ... if it works - don't fix it.

1. Brood boxes (even standard nationals (let alone 14 x 12's) are very heavy when filled with honey - liftng them off in order to inspect the brood box is a recipe for beekeepers back..
2. Adding supers as they are required you are more likely to get full frames filled and capped than you will with brood frames
3. You need a big extractor to spin out sensible numbers of brood frames

If it was a good idea do you not think that everyone would be using it ? If you want to go the single box route and you are not built like the incredible hulk you probably need to look at a smaller box like a Warre or Rose system employ.

I think we are all guilty of trying to reinvent the wheel sometimes ... if it works - don't fix it.

1. Brood boxes (even standard nationals (let alone 14 x 12's) are very heavy when filled with honey - liftng them off in order to inspect the brood box is a recipe for beekeepers back..
2. Adding supers as they are required you are more likely to get full frames filled and capped than you will with brood frames
3. You need a big extractor to spin out sensible numbers of brood frames

If it was a good idea do you not think that everyone would be using it ? If you want to go the single box route and you are not built like the incredible hulk you probably need to look at a smaller box like a Warre or Rose system employ.
I agree Philip, obviously Tim Rowe is famous for reinventing a single box just slightly bigger than a standard super when surely the cheapest idea would have been to use supers.
I keep promising I'll have a go at the Rose system one day using supers but never seem to get around to it!

what’s the general consensus
There isn't one. 🙂

You can use whatever combination of boxes you like; after all, boxes are just variable depths of a sliced tree trunk, and the bees won't care.

Plenty of info. here and online about Tim Rowe's one-box Rose hive, which was sized to suit the weight Tim could carry comfortably.

Your decision depends to some degree on whether you mean to run a couple of colonies or a couple of hundred.

At scale, simplicity of operation saves labour and commonality of kit will enable you to buy in bulk and save money.

Last edited:
I use double brood sleeved down with fat kingspan frames in each box.
No reason it couldn't be done with the honey box too-then you would get full frames and it wouldn't be obscenely heavy units to lift.
The pay off will be having one size boxes and one size frames which for the inventory is simple and sensible.
I'm stuck with a two size operation now but if I had to start over this is something I'd consider.

Hi All what’s the general consensus, I’m presently using nation brood box’s and supers, would there be any benefit to just using one or the other. All brood or all supers.
I started with all brood thinking that one size fits all and it would simplify my operating but after last years honey flow feeling the weight of those boxes has made me reevaluate 😅

I use one size (national) but only because commercial and all the efficiencies around doing so.
Yes they are heavy (and I'm strong) but never let them build-up to multiple boxes per hive (especially as running DB where needed).
It's hard work but far less boxes/processing and a load of other benefits, all good.

Think BMH mentioned being capable and strong using broods, now noticed he mentions back pain.

Easy test, take a couple of 10kg weights or more and hold them out at arms length, if this is hard stick to standard boxes.
You can get gear to aid in moving/lifting but £££

I'd stick to standard kit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back