One and a half seams

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lebouche

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
My first real peek this year showed me they only have one and a half seams.
They are in a polynuc and too small to tell by hefting what they have.
I didn't pull out any frames.
Gave them some 2:1 using the old fondant and a bit of pollen substitute mixed in.
Can colonies this size recover?
Many thanks!
P.s they are bringing in pollen.

I would have thought that the fact they are bringing in pollen is a good sign. This will be for the brood. I think that although small patience is needed and that I dont see any reason why they cannot recover. If there is a laying queen you may be surprised by the expansion in the next 2 weeks.

I spent a good time with my girls on Saturday and although there was little sealed brood there was an increased amount of eggs and young larvae.
Everything is about a month behind and so I expect everything to start moving forward rapidly in the next 2 weeks if we are lucky enough to have some relatively stable weather.

All the best,
Sam

They won't let you down! They can surprise you, sometimes my strongest hives are the biggest disappointment and my weakest give me the most! If the queen has room and drawn comb to lay in, the expansion can be quite quick. If the new bees come as the man flow starts, then nectar can be coming in at just the right time. If nothing else, as swarm says, you can build them up to get through next winter in a strong position.
Keep your fingers crossed
E

I have a similarly weak hive, so I appreciate the hopeful replies.

If you have several hives, you may take emerging brood frame from another hive and get the colony to minimum size.

3 covered frame is minimum.

i think they may be ok, especially as they are in a poly nuc and the weather seems to be warming up, had it been wooden then maybe not ... I wouldn't risk taking brood out of another colony just yet, but then that's just my opinion.

Like nothing.....!! The clue is in the statement NOTHING is impossible! Confused?

leBouche

looks to me like you've an excellent chance..... and keep feeding 1:1 syrup (1lb sugar / 1pt water)

richard

Last edited by a moderator:
leBouche
looks to me like you've an excellent chance..... and keep feeding 1:1 syrup (1lb sugar / 1pt water)

I would say that only after having had a chance to take a quick look at the brood...

The bees are bringing in pollen, but that's what they still do when the queen has become a drone layer...

Regards
Reiner

Good luck with them lebouche.

The bees are bringing in pollen, but that's what they still do when the queen has become a drone layer...

And they carry on collecting pollen after the virgin in a cast swarm has failed to mate. They make pretty patterns with it, all over the brood frames. I wish I'd taken a picture.

beekeeping4you

so what do you suggest?

Pull a frame and even if you should find worker brood, go back and have a look at Finman's post, he says the colony could be to small to keep brood warm...

(In an ideal world I would suggest to give them two frames covered with bees, one to each side of the frame the queen is on, maybe that would give them a chance to build up..?)

Regards
Reiner

Thanks all. As Swarm says, I currently only have one hive.
Didn't see any drones so hopefully it's just a slow build up.
Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back