On the brink...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hengest

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi - I've been lurking :spy:on the forum for a while and hope to get some bees in the spring. Before I launch into posting questions on the beginners section I thought I better introduce myself.

So hello!

Done a taster course
Booked on a basic course in spring.
Joined my local association(I suspect the same one as Hachi).
Been on several visits to the association apiary and handled the bees.
Done a bit of reading (Haynes Manual, Bees at the bottom of the garden, A Practical Manual of Bekeeping by David Cramp and currently ploughing through Ted Hooper's book. ).
An older beekeeper in the branch is retiring from Beekeeping and he has agreed to sell me a colony.
I've prepared my apiary site (in my garden (ducks)).
So really now reading, learning and waiting with a mixture of excitement and trepidation .

So if you see one of my daft questions - treat with sympathy, I'm hard of thinking.

Hello and welcome from your post it looks like you have done just about everything right up to now and looking forward to your questions this year. Good luck.

Hi - , I'm hard of thinking.

:welcome:

You are in good company: I gave up thinking as too much like hard work when I became a beekeeper--- too many opposing opinions :paparazzi:

Welcome and good luck,
good timing actually as I have been told the last 3 years since I started have been nothing like a normal year, so my thinking is we must have a normal year this year.

Thank you all for the kind words - I'll do my best not to disappoint on the daftness front.

A model bee keeper so far then, well done! See if you need anything from the sales (perhaps talk to your beeking friend), as the middle of summer can be an annoying time to find out you actually quite like something from a bee shop :)

Welcome!!

Welcome. Doesn't matter how silly you think a question is, ask it anyway. You can guarantee there will be others wondering the same thing

Swot up on what to do if the colony shows signs of wanting to swarm, and have some spare hive parts ready, sales are on now if your retiring friend hasn't sorted you for that already.

Swot up on what to do if the colony shows signs of wanting to swarm, and have some spare hive parts ready, sales are on now if your retiring friend hasn't sorted you for that already.

Good points. Always try to stay at least one step ahead of the bees. A spare empty hive with frames and foundation can save many a day.

Latest posts

Back