Newbie by the sea

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's a fairly fluid thing.... more than 10, less than 15
Hi all! Wannabe beekeeper from the windy but mostly sunny West Sussex Coast. Recently taken early retirement and OH clearly thought I needed another hobby (on top of growing organic veg, cooking and baking bread!). I am very excited to keep bees though. Trying to get on some beginner courses and have joined local association (Chichester) so I can visit the apiary when it’s open and hopefully get some mentoring before I plunge into beekeeping properly.

Currently reading everything I can get my mitts on and deciding where to site the hive (or hives? Heard you should start with two?) so they don’t bother anyone (we have a largish but odd shaped garden with 6 neighbours!) or upset the dog....

I’m sure I will be asking ALOT of daft questions so bear with....

Welcome. Do you get the bbka magazine? I have been writing a small column in there which might give you a few pointers to siting a hive etc.if not then it is on my blog on this site.
Feel free to ask away!
Lovely to see new faces
E

Welcome, I hope you enjoy the Chichester group - some nice people.
Get yourself booked into the Convention on the 29th of Feb. Very interesting lectures and you will have a ball chatting to a swarm of beekeepers ��

Is there a collective name for beekeepers? ......... maybe another post?

Welcome. Do you get the bbka magazine? I have been writing a small column in there which might give you a few pointers to siting a hive etc.if not then it is on my blog on this site.
Feel free to ask away!
Lovely to see new faces
E
Hi, thanks all for the welcome.... I joined CBKA and think I ticked the box to get the magazine so hopefully I'll get that for bedtime reading at some point!

Hi, thanks all for the welcome.... I joined CBKA and think I ticked the box to get the magazine so hopefully I'll get that for bedtime reading at some point!

Q&A section is looking up as our very own fatshark is in charge :)

Any tips on bread making? Do you recommend knocking back? Some do, some don't. My efforts always end up like bricks - at least they give the family something to laugh about.

Any tips on bread making? Do you recommend knocking back? Some do, some don't. My efforts always end up like bricks - at least they give the family something to laugh about.

Use pitched yeast
The less heavy flour (wholemeal and seeded stuff) the lighter the bread
Ten minute knead in the Kitchen aid
Prove an hour
Knock down
Prove an hour
Knock down and shape into whatever it's going to be
Prove another hour
Perfect bread

You must prove and knock down at least once

We've used a bread-maker machine for ~ 15 years. Put in ingredients, press 'Start', do something else for 3 hours then remove bread.

We've used a bread-maker machine for ~ 15 years. Put in ingredients, press 'Start', do something else for 3 hours then remove bread.

I'm with you on that one Paul, I do occasionally use the dough cycle if SWMBO requests rolls!

Heathens!
I used to have a bread maker. Hand made ( or half hand made) bread is so much nicer. Try using the bread maker just to knead the mix and prove it twice afterwards

The bread maker proves the dough and knocks it down twice I think. It makes really good bread.

Latest posts

Back