old hives from great grandpa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabslinger

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello, newbee want to be. I have been wanting to get started in beekeeping for awhile now and i dug out some of my great grandfathers hives from storage in an old cream shed, he last used them until the late 1930's, some seem to be in good condition, what type are they and can or should I use them? Thanks in advance! Louie

You're in Ohio, so I'll hazard a guess from the style (handles) and size that they're Langstroth or maybe Dadant? You could check the dimensions and see if they match anything that's available now. Beesource is a useful U.S.A. site http://www.beesource.com/

Haven't a clue whether you should clean them up, by scorching, and use them or not.

give them a thorough clean and get yourself some bees.I dont think many people use those section racks any more,too difficult to get drawn properly but the hives are looking good.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about these, so will jump in again and hopefully prompt some others into offering ideas. We inherited a lot of non-beekeeping woodware, a lot of it had to be thrown away because although it looked okay it hadn't stored well and wasn't worth repairing.

Some of your brood boxes (the deep ones) are nailed. The nails could have rusted and, if they break when you lift the boxes you might find yourself holding a couple of pieces of wood, a mess of hive contents at your feet and confused bees all round your head. So I'd check, and glue and re-nail as and where needed before even trying to use them.

Can check that the wood is sound? It may have been damaged by woodworm (if you have woodworm) or other wood-boring insects. You can't really use an insecticide to treat it, because you'd risk harming bees you put in the boxes. If the wood is damaged it could break or crumble when put under stress.

Maybe somebody else knows what the boxes in picture #2 are

I've been thinking about these, so will jump in again and hopefully prompt some others into offering ideas. We inherited a lot of non-beekeeping woodware, a lot of it had to be thrown away because although it looked okay it hadn't stored well and wasn't worth repairing.

Some of your brood boxes (the deep ones) are nailed. The nails could have rusted and, if they break when you lift the boxes you might find yourself holding a couple of pieces of wood, a mess of hive contents at your feet and confused bees all round your head. So I'd check, and glue and re-nail as and where needed before even trying to use them.

Can check that the wood is sound? It may have been damaged by woodworm (if you have woodworm) or other wood-boring insects. You can't really use an insecticide to treat it, because you'd risk harming bees you put in the boxes. If the wood is damaged it could break or crumble when put under stress.

Maybe somebody else knows what the boxes in picture #2 are

They will be Langstroth given the country. Above is full of some very good points re rusty nails, woodworm etc. I inherited a load of old British Nationals, some of them are the unmodified design, most were in reasonable condition, odd areas of rot or worm damage which I have generally managed to repair. Then I painted them and they look pretty good now

Section boxes and the wax to go in them are still available and if cut comb is what is required in the Ohio market then get them cleaned up and back into use.

I too have no idea what picture 2 is of.

Frisbee

Hi I'd use them if you can get the frames and foundation to fit , clean em up by scorching with a flame gun and check joints , should be ok though, they made things to last back then
Another aspect of course is its such a pleasure and contenting to use your Greatfathers equipment.
Ive got some old garden tools that go back a generation or two that
give me great pleasure to use and reflect on my family's history.

Best Regards
James

They look like some great old relics, probably last another 100 years

Latest posts

Back