Old bee hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you think they are abandoned then get in touch with your local bee inspector they are there to help.

If these hives are owned by a commercial guy with 1000's of colonies, the fact that mousegurads are still in place should surprise no one. Especially if the location is a northerly one. Or the apiary might just be casually run.

Some beehive thefts are no doubt attributable to people taking away hives in the mistaken belief that they have been abandoned. It's a toss up of whether that's theft or taking w/out owners consent.

There is actually a properly laid down 'Abandoned Hives Procedure'. In the case of this apiary - on land that is to be developed - the correct course of action would be to contact the local Bee Inspector if ownership cannot be established via the current land owner. Not much of an Ecological Consultant if you ain't heard of a Government Bee Inspector.

Last edited:
There is actually a properly laid down 'Abandoned Hives Procedure'. In the case of this apiary - on land that is to be developed - the correct course of action would be to contact the local Bee Inspector if ownership cannot be established via the current land owner. Not much of an Ecological Consultant if you ain't heard of a Government Bee Inspector. [/QUOTE said:
Probably a better consultant than bee keeper as I haven't (sorry ain't) heard of 'The Abandoned Hives Procedure' and thank you have answered my original question on how to deal with the situation.

As a consultant of 20years there are still many aspects of ecology I know little or nothing about, however the beauty of my work is that I learn something new on a regular basis and today was one of them!

As many have said about this forum, it is brilliant for finding answers even if some come with a degree of derision! :seeya:

Latest posts

Back