oil seed rape - should I or shouldn't I?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
anybody else have any qualms about putting their bees to OSR? I'm asking because I've none within 2 miles but have the chance to put a hive or 2 in the middle of a farm full. Seems a shame to look a gift horse in the mouth but, having had a few years without local OSR I'm starting to worry about the impact on my bees and the honey of intensively farmed OSR - pesticides directly harming the bees, anything else floating about (and I'm not naiive about modern farming!) harming the honey and the bees?
Andy

Andy,
If it were me I would have that conversation with the farmer and discuss his use of pesticides etc Also ask him if he knows about other local farmers and their usage too.

If you can get reassurance in this then I would do it. The girls will love it and so will your consumers too.

All the best,
Sam

At their new site my girls will be near OSR. was quite concerned- should I find when the farmer's spraying and shut them in etc. Spoke to a local v. experienced bek with about 50 hives who does a lot of OSR. Her view was 'never had any trouble- they'll be fine'.

ive always put my bees on OSR, the only time you have to wory about spraying is when they spray for pollen bettle, ask the farmer to call you before he/she sprays and shut them in ( ask for them to spray in the morning) and when the OSR ends the bees can be jumpy for a week or two after.

On the up side is loads of honey and a strong hive.

Andy,

If you can get reassurance in this then I would do it. The girls will love it and so will your consumers too.

All the best,
Sam

I can't help chuckling at that, anecdotally the bees get bad tempered on OSR, and the OSR honey that I have tasted was foul, I poured it down the drain once I'd re-liquified it (3 minutes in the microwave on full power) :smilielol5:

I have hundreds, possibly thousands of hectares of OSR within 3km of my hives and have never had any problems yet, fingers crossed and I find it produces a somewhat firm but creamy honey with a flowery flavour that is very popular with some people. However I don't move my hives around.

Chris

As with Chris, although I cant claim the 1000+ Hectares, just 60! But it does make a nice honey which is popular. You do need to spin it out relatively quickly though, to avoid crystalisation in the comb, in other words, two planned and distinct harvests each year. Which also helps sales having two honey styles.

I don't see any change in temperament when the rape finishes here because there is usually a couple of weeks over-lap with main crop beans so continuity of nectar supply. R

Regarding pesticide spraying. It's not so common as it used to be because most rape now has a seed dressing of pesticide (yes neonics) instead. Apart from potential issues with neonics (plenty of discussion elsewhere on this), it does mean a colony next to a rape field is in no more danger than one 2 miles away that flies there to forage.

I no longer shut in for spraying and find it makes no odds at all.

I took the advice from a person with thousands of colonies and find it to be true, there is no odds in it now.

Get the honey off early, and yes customers will enjoy solid OSR comb honey too. :)

PH

thanks for all the responses - I really appreciate it and its a good example of the forum working at its best, IMHO. I think I'll have a chat with the farmer about any spraying regime, check with my partner beekeepers and see what happens with one hive if any are strong enough by then - I reckon within 3 to 4 weeks there should be flowers. Its quite exciting to see what the bees will do with limitless nectar!
How crucial is it that the hive is 'ready' - what if there aren't enough bees - should I supplement with bees shaken from other hives? Is there a minimum colony strength?

These days most hives build up on the OSR as the flowering period is now so short. It used to be 6 weeks or so but now it seems over at 3.

Whether you will get a crop or not depends on if your bees are ahead of the plant or not. Most of mine will be building on it but a few may be far enough ahead to make a surplus.

PH

The very kind farmer who owns a field next to me has offered to plant it with oil seed rape. It's probably about a couple of acres and around 100m from the hives. Is this a good offer and should I take him up on it? Sounds like I will need to be aware of taking any surplus off early/in a timely way. Any thoughts gratefully received.

My girls will wake up to a sea of yellow, miles of it in every direction.

I'm in a similar situation Thanks to the generosity of another local beek.
Yesterday I placed 2 hives on his site just 10m or so from several huge fields of osr. This will be my first experience to so let's see how it goes ....

Realistically no esp if it is spring Rape.

I think you mean autumn/winter sown rape. Spring OSR will be much later and is an ideal source of nectar for a large honey crop, flowering very late May into June, dependent on your location.

RAB

Realistically no esp if it is spring Rape.

I think you mean autumn/winter sown rape. Spring OSR will be much later and is an ideal source of nectar for a large honey crop, flowering very late May into June, dependent on your location.

RAB

Thanks PH and Rab,
So good idea then to find out if it will be spring OSR. The farmer (whose father used to keep bees) was very keen to help.

Regards

SKB

Latest posts

Back