Oil seed rape watch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it warm enough for nectar . I assumed it needed to get above a certain temp ?

The fields are in Barnet on the outskirts of greater London The Temperature has been up to 17c recently but colder today at 14c , The bees are drying nectar in the super but not it is not yet capped. i just keep three hive on it, though this year we have many more field of field beans rather than OSR, oe farmer has stopped planting OSR all together due to pollen beetle

Last edited:
The fields are in Barnet on the outskirts of greater London The Temperature has been up to 17c recently but colder today at 14c , The bees are drying nectar in the super but not it is not yet capped. i just keep three hive on it, though this year we have many more field of field beans rather than OSR, oe farmer has stopped planting OSR all together due to pollen beetle

Funny or not funny you mention pollen beetle, no rape around here this year thank the lord, but there is many Dandelion flowers that are nearly Black with beetles, something i have never seen before.

Nothing near Leeds, but I drove up to Durham yesterday and once I got more than 50 miles up the A1 I came across a few fields of it. Different variety, or a different climate?

Nothing near Leeds, but I drove up to Durham yesterday and once I got more than 50 miles up the A1 I came across a few fields of it. Different variety, or a different climate?

Could be either.

In fields near to my apiaries, some are still completely green whilst others are turning yellow fast!
Even in 2 fields next to each other there is a stark difference. In this case and at this time of year I think it is more the amount of sunshine and soil condition!

Latest posts

Back