Oh frabjous day...!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Two weeks ago we put the first super on our new hive. The bees ignored it completely.

sprayed with sugar syrup; bruised the brood stores...still only a passing interst.

Not daring to be too hopeful, we came to do an inspection at the weekend, and it was almost too heavy to lift. That took me by surprise then. All frames fully drawn, full of stores, and half capped. Gosh!

we have huge and ongong balsam flow at the moment...second super has gone on now. we may even get some honey off this colony this year...though primary concern has always been to get them through the winter.

So proud of my girls! :)

Wow that's brilliant. Callooh Callay - I love Jabberwocky lol

Last edited:
Same here in N Staffs.. Balsam all along the Dane and its tributaries...

Really pleased for you Illo.
Nearest Balsam here exactly one and a half miles away (I measured it!) Do I have any hope of some balsam honey?

Always hope.

I spotted some yesterday by the main road walking up to the library. Growing on the pavement next to the buildings!

And you have had a wee lesson in how fast a colony can move. It pays to be prepared.... as more than a few have found to their cost.

PH

And you have had a wee lesson in how fast a colony can move. It pays to be prepared.... as more than a few have found to their cost.

PH
.... which nearly happened to me, last year - I had set up my new apiary within 400m of the old canal, which is lined with hemlock water-dropwort (also an excellent nectar plant despite the roots etc. being poisonous) and loads of balsam. Then a thoughtful conservation team came and beheaded the balsam, but after a brief lull it flowered again! Happy bees! And I both got some honey for me, and left quite a bit for the bees as well, with very little feeding needed prior to winter. Only snag was that they started preparing to swarm in September... but fortunately I managed to dissuade them in time.

;)As an ecologist I'm not too keen on Himalayan balsam, but since I starting keeping bees nearby, I'm prepared to forgive it!

Latest posts

Back