Offering to host a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obi&oci

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello I'm new to the forum & have joined as I'm very interested in bee keeping & would like to learn as much as I can.
I have a big private garden in a rural area that has lots of natural habitat backing on to open fields & woodland so figuring it a good way to learn I have offered to host a hive locally, can anyone please explain to me what is expected of me doing this please & do I need to pay for someone to use my garden. Many thanks

Hello I'm new to the forum & have joined as I'm very interested in bee keeping & would like to learn as much as I can.
I have a big private garden in a rural area that has lots of natural habitat backing on to open fields & woodland so figuring it a good way to learn I have offered to host a hive locally, can anyone please explain to me what is expected of me doing this please & do I need to pay for someone to use my garden. Many thanks

Be careful. If the hive is in an area that a dog can approach, it could easily be stung. Ditto any visitors you have. Bees can seem a charming addition to the garden, but they need an exclusion zone around them, including a fence to prevent dogs/kids approaching within (say) 5 metres, if this is a possibility.

Be careful. If the hive is in an area that a dog can approach, it could easily be stung. Ditto any visitors you have. Bees can seem a charming addition to the garden, but they need an exclusion zone around them, including a fence to prevent dogs/kids approaching within (say) 5 metres, if this is a possibility.
Thanks for the reply I haven't a dog or any young children just a couple of cats, the garden is south facing & 100ft long so plenty of space for them to not be interupted & hopefully ideal

can anyone please explain to me what is expected of me doing this please & do I need to pay for someone to use my garden. Many thanks
Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy all the information now at your fingertips.
Might I suggest you join your local beekeeping association and take a beginners course. These might have actually finished by now (they tend to be a winter thing) but you should be able to visit their training apiary to introduce yourself and look at their bees. I'm sure somebody would take up your offer of keeping a hive or two in your garden. Be aware though that whoever does will need access all the time. Take it from there.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy all the information now at your fingertips.
Might I suggest you join your local beekeeping association and take a beginners course. These might have actually finished by now (they tend to be a winter thing) but you should be able to visit their training apiary to introduce yourself and look at their bees. I'm sure somebody would take up your offer of keeping a hive or two in your garden. Be aware though that whoever does will need access all the time. Take it from there.
Thank you I'm looking now I have just ordered a couple of books too & yes access is no problem for me

Thanks for the reply I haven't a dog or any young children just a couple of cats, the garden is south facing & 100ft long so plenty of space for them to not be interupted & hopefully ideal

Fair enough - bees don't mind cats, and vice versa! One of our neighbour's cats has been seen sitting on a hive as a good vantage point for micing.

Host an apiary site, learn from your beekeeper and maybe consider from there if you would like a colony or two of your own. Unless you decide to expand, running a couple alongside your hosted hives should not be a problem.
The deal is usually some honey for the host.
Hope you get some luck.

Tiny bit too far for me right now, otherwise would love to take you up on it and show you the ropes.

No need for you to pay them, normally they'd give you a pound of honey a year per hive although if they're showing you the ropes too then you may want to discuss the terms with them.

You'll need to think about access as they'll usually want inspecting once a week in Spring, Summer and early Autumn plus the route they'll use to reach the hive as that will potentially get worn. What's the plan for swarm control, insurance, if neighbours complain, how many hives, and so on are all things to consider. Work out exactly what you hope to get out of it from the outset and be clear on who os responsible for what.

Check out Norfolk Honey and Black Mountain Honey on YouTube too.

Shame, I was hoping it was close to you, it would have been a great opportunity.
I was too! It's about 40min away, conveniently near a feed store. Lovely area too. However I would struggle to fit the driving onto the apiary circuit every week as I am hamstrung by the school run on my bee day.

Tiny bit too far for me right now, otherwise would love to take you up on it and show you the ropes.

No need for you to pay them, normally they'd give you a pound of honey a year per hive although if they're showing you the ropes too then you may want to discuss the terms with them.

You'll need to think about access as they'll usually want inspecting once a week in Spring, Summer and early Autumn plus the route they'll use to reach the hive as that will potentially get worn. What's the plan for swarm control, insurance, if neighbours complain, how many hives, and so on are all things to consider. Work out exactly what you hope to get out of it from the outset and be clear on who os responsible for what.

Check out Norfolk Honey and Black Mountain Honey on YouTube too.
That's great thank you for all the info I will check them out now😊

Latest posts

Back