Odd behaviour- honey in brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seems to be very common at the moment, I too have brood nests being filled up with honey and nectar, mostly nectar, I guess they are just being lazy or you could say making the most of it while it lasts.
it is frustrating though when you give them a fresh frame of foundation for brood and by the following weekend its full with stores.

:hairpull:

it is frustrating though when you give them a fresh frame of foundation for brood and by the following weekend its full with stores.

:hairpull:

10 times more frustrating is to give whole box foundations and then they fill it with honey. And then another box.

Last edited:
i have this problem at the moment

is it possible to put the brood frames with nectar above crown board above supers with a small gap so they 'rob' it back down into the supers?

Honey in brood is not a problem. It is a sign of good yield.

In good flow bees store nectar everywhere. Later they arrange the brood nest.

Take care that your hives have store space where to dry up incoming nectar
One super under capping work and two supers for nectar storing. The thicker the Nectar layer, the longer it takes time to rippen.

Last edited:
very helpful as always Finman

so in a double brood, how do i keep open space for the q to lay...i have two supers above upper bb

i am adding fresh foundation to the nest from time to time

very helpful as always Finman

so in a double brood, how do i keep open space for the q to lay...i have two supers above upper bb

i am adding fresh foundation to the nest from time to time

Trust the bees. If they have room to move it, and they need room to lay, they will move it!
An empty super above the brood box.
E

will do, thanks Enrico

i have some drawn and some undrawn...so empty super could be one or other or mixture

i take Finman's point about mixing up i.e. they can draw in a haphazard way...some deep, patches with corresponding shallow or undrawn patches

a right or wrong or trial and error?

Latest posts

Back