observation hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much. I had a look at them as well. Have you got the Nucleus Observation Hive or the National Assembled, Observation Hive, Standard Deep? Unfortunately they only got 1 small Photo on their Website, so it's hard to tell about the quality of the Product. Can you tell more about it? Does it look well done or rather "cheaply" put together like some suppliers do? Is it treated or untreated? Are you happy with the locking of the system and the Ventilation?

What I also miss is that it comes without a Super frame section, which is a bit of a shame. I like the idea to have a Nuc Box with possibly 6 Frames on the Bottom and a Brood and Super Frame on top, that would simply be ideal...

It's a national assembled 5 frame nucleus observation hive. I would say the quality is ok, a good ob hive for the price, I believe the wood is untreated. The locking system didn't let any bees escape! Just to be on the safe side I had taped over the catches so that little fingers couldn't fiddle. There is a strip of Q excluder to prevent the queen disappearing from the displayed frame. It has an OMF with a tray insert, so can leave the tray out for ventilation.

Last edited:
I bought one from observation hives (co uk) a few years ago and have been very pleased with it. Hope this helps.

Have also used one of these for our local shows.
Quality is good and worth the money in my opinion.

Has the option to have a super frame above the brood one, although have never actually used this.

QE strips to keep queen in right section.

Have also used one of these for our local shows.
Quality is good and worth the money in my opinion.

Has the option to have a super frame above the brood one, although have never actually used this.

QE strips to keep queen in right section.

Thanks for that. I would be very keen to get the one with a Super Frame on top, but yes, it's a difficult decision, when you look at the price. I have asked them a few additionally question and await their reply. I have received a reply from Abelo in the meantime, yes they got 2 models, but they are simply Brood Frame with or without a Super Frame above. It's about 60 Pound, but comes without the glass, which I find a bit bizarre. I still would prefer a Nuc attached to the bottom and I would surely want one with the glass supplied :)

It's cheaper and safer to find a local glazier than take the risk or the expense of a bad delivery or safe courier.

Fair point. But, its not the model I am keen on anyway. I have found only 1 so far with a Nuc on the bottom and an additional Super Frame on top at observation Hives co uk.... am I right?

Including glass and perspex I am pretty sure you could make one for under £25 or less. Most of that would be the perspex.

PH

Including glass and perspex I am pretty sure you could make one for under £25 or less. Most of that would be the perspex.

PH

I am sure you are right, but I have not got the right tools to build a good quality product. (nor the knowledge and experience) I would like one which is in the end not just cheaply pinned together out of Ply, I would like one which looks nice as well... so many wishes...

Oh, interesting. Are you making them? I looked at eBay yesterday and today, but I guess they must have just come online. The only thing which would be missing on this one seems to be the extra super on top... but it is attempting I have to admit. Thanks for the link

Oh, interesting. Are you making them? I looked at eBay yesterday and today, but I guess they must have just come online. The only thing which would be missing on this one seems to be the extra super on top... but it is attempting I have to admit. Thanks for the link

Nothing to do with me - just saw them earlier.
To be honest, I've never seen an Ulster hive with a super on top, just the normal flat profile single or double brood frame ones.

Ah ok, so it was coincident that you saw them... but thanks anway for pointing it out. Interesting what you are saying. So if I understand right, the Nuc Version is called "Ulster Hive" and would normally not come with a Super... so I guess what "Observation Hives" offers is a special Version and the only disadvantage of their model is that they are 5 frame (I would prefer 6 Frames, since this would be easier to move bees between a 6 Frame Poly Nuc and the Observation Hive) and that the Hive is at the end of the Price Range :(

I would like one which is in the end not just cheaply pinned together out of Ply, I would like one which looks nice as well... so many wishes...
It's surprising how many of the retiring or less-active beekeepers have an observation hive in the back of their shed, and they're usually very nicely made too.

Have you asked through your association if anybody has one to sell.

Worth a try, perhaps?

Actually I haven't asked, but you are right, I am sure there is lots of equipment flying around and sitting in people shed's waiting to be used again. It's just a matter of finding it out...

It's surprising how many of the retiring or less-active beekeepers have an observation hive in the back of their shed, and they're usually very nicely made too.

Have you asked through your association if anybody has one to sell.

Worth a try, perhaps?

I've seen a few going through various bee auctions.

Latest posts

Back