Numbering frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharonh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone do this & what do you use to mark them that isn't toxic to the bees?
I saw it somewhere suggested that if removing frames for any reason, it's useful when they are numbered so you know exactly where each frame was.
Sharon

No, I just use a drawing pin to identify a frame that has a queen cell on that I want to keep an eye on. No time or need to number frames.

Nope.....the numbers would soon get mixed up in my hives!
I only mark with a marker pen if I want to identify a frame with a queen cell so I only have to lift that frame to see what stage it is at.....
E

Does anyone do this & what do you use to mark them that isn't toxic to the bees?
I saw it somewhere suggested that if removing frames for any reason, it's useful when they are numbered so you know exactly where each frame was.
Sharon

You should aim for equally-drawn frames (even the outside ones - use a flat dummy board!) so that they can be put into the order that you the beekeeper might wish, should you have any need to shuffle things around.
Carving off excresences will actually help the bees - they don't want brood cells to be too short, opposite some that are too deep.

Marking every brood frame topbar (with your name, address or phone number) is said to deter colony theft.
If doing that, my tweak would be to use your Q-marking pen, so that you can tell how old each brood frame is - for replacement purposes.

You should aim for equally-drawn frames (even the outside ones - use a flat dummy board!) so that they can be put into the order that you the beekeeper might wish, should you have any need to shuffle things around.
Carving off excresences will actually help the bees - they don't want brood cells to be too short, opposite some that are too deep.

Marking every brood frame topbar (with your name, address or phone number) is said to deter colony theft.
If doing that, my tweak would be to use your Q-marking pen, so that you can tell how old each brood frame is - for replacement purposes.

Hi Itma,
If I can remember right, I think it was done for the purpose of brood spreading in Spring time.
Having the frames numbered made it easier.
I was just concerned on what type of marker. A permanent marker has too strong a smell & could be toxic to the bees.
A Queen marker would be the option I think.
Thanks for that :)

if you need to do as per itma says , you are not going to use all the ink in your queen marker pen so make your queens then your frames saves wasting pen ink , go onto next colour for next year , then your queen is marked and the frames are yearly marked

Sorry, but daft idea. Brood and honey boxes? Transferring emerging brood to a weak colony? A/S? Test frames? Frame changes due to age/breakage? Making up nucs? Yes, a daft idea.

Sorry, but daft idea. Brood and honey boxes? Transferring emerging brood to a weak colony? A/S? Test frames? Frame changes due to age/breakage? Making up nucs? Yes, a daft idea.
Yes pointless to number frames within a hive, but all the reasons given are good reasons for systematically tracking the age of (brood) frames.

If I can remember right, I think it was done for the purpose of brood spreading in Spring time.
Having the frames numbered made it easier.
I think numbering might have been used to explain what was happening, but if you do 'brood spreading' you do it by observation of the state of the brood nest at the time of inspection - NOT according to any preconceived plan involving numbered frames.

Hi Itma,

A permanent marker has too strong a smell & could be toxic to the bees.

Put the top back on and tell them not to sniff the pen they may catch bad human type habits (glue sniffing).
Seriously I mark my frames with plastic foundation in and once dry no problem whatsoever.

I tried numbering brood frames when I started, because it was something advised on beginners course. Turned out to be a waste of time because when they get moved around, and out of order, it's more distracting than useful.

Tried marking super frames to match the hive, gave up on that too.

I number mine so that when I'm taking photos of the frames during my inspections I can tell which frame I'm looking at ... I've a cunning tag system to hang alongside the frames as the frame numbers are on the top of the frames in indelible marker pen. Yes .. the frames do get out of order but it's still useful ...

I will also be putting the year number on them all this year so that I know when they were put in the hive ...

Perhaps a bit OCD but I like it ....

:iagree: w3hole heartedly. Total waste of time.

Feed your OCD - use the queen colour for your numbering and you've got both bits of info

i just put a line one the top bar next to left lug using current year Q mrk pen ensure I know age of foundation / frame and place frame back in correct orientation. Each foundation change new line.

All mine are marked with a branding iron with the same mark for security purposes only, I don't see any point in marking them alphanumerically.

Back