NUC or Package Bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spadaman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

I am a Newbee looking to get some bees this year having failed to source some last year. I made some enquiries locally last year and though I had some promises I am now becoming worried that I may loose out again.

I really wanted "local" bees but due to the worries outlined above I am considering buying some bees from further afield. Some places are about 70 miles from me ( I am in South East Dorset) and I was wondering if this is too far to transport bees in a Nuc or travel box.

If I go down this route I have the option of a 5 frame Nuc or a " package" of bees - no frames. I would think that the bees on frames would be better but they are considerably more expensive than the package of bees. My questions are:

Would package bees need drawn frames or would they be okay on foundation? As a new Beek I don't have any drawn frames, so that may answer the next question.

Is a package of bees worth having ( as opposed to a Nuc), or would it be better to pay the extra and get bees on frames?

Would I be able to put the package bees in a National brood box or would a Nuc box be required until they get up to strength? I had thought about using the brood box with a divider to make it into effectively a five frame Nuc. Although I am not sure how effective this would be at keeping the bees from the other side of the brood box. Would this work?

Lots of questions - all advice gratefully received.

Regards
Bill

I would always try and go for a true Nuc.. Then you have bees, brood N' food.

you can install a package into a hive of just foundation, you basically elastic band the queen cage to a center frame and poor the bees in. Come back a few days later and relise or the bees chew through the sugar plug, there is 100 videos on you tube of yanks installing packages:patriot:

The nuc is the beginner-friendly option. A 70 mile journey is not a problem for the bees if they are well ventilated, but they will be more settled if you travel early morning or evening.

Would I be able to put the package bees in a National brood box or would a Nuc box be required until they get up to strength? I had thought about using the brood box with a divider to make it into effectively a five frame Nuc. Although I am not sure how effective this would be at keeping the bees from the other side of the brood box.

I would put them straight into the brood box with a dummy board as you suggest. As you keep your eye on them you can then move the board and add extra frames as they need them. I'd fill the "wrong" side of the dummy board with frames (of foundation) ready to move across.

The other advantage of this is that you could put a frame feeder into the box should you need to.

Bill,

A nuc is the better option for a new starter, IMO.

There is no risk of the queen never getting to lay for any reason, as she should be laying already (and the mother or most of the bees if a good nuc).

Some nucs are better than others, of course. Some are simply thrown together on the day of despatch......

You don't give any inkling of the size of the package - they can come in various sizes, so the frame coverage can be considerably different.

Size for size, the nuc should be ahead of the package by at least three weeks (already has eggs, larvae and capped brood) and it is supplied on frames and comb and with stores, each having some value (unless the comb is really 'manky', as some have found).

If the conditions are good at arrival there should be no need to feed a nuc, but the package will need feeding.

All bits to take into account, as you are not comparing like with like, here.

70 miles is unimportant, if the carriage conditions are adequate. Queens and packages are sent thousands of miles (Australia to the US, per eg) and hives are moved around the US by the truckload, so 70 miles is not a lot, if done properly.

Hope this helps.

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
Hi

Some places are about 70 miles from me ( I am in South East Dorset) and I was wondering if this is too far to transport bees in a Nuc or travel box.

Regards
Bill

The thing that worries me is not whether you buy a package or a Nuc but WHO THE SUPPLIER is

70miles NE of south east Dorset is Gloucestershire and there is a place in Gloucestershire that supplies Bees in correxes boxes that i would not buy either a package or Nuc from but that is just my opinion of him, and i will not identify him

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back