Nuc into Hive first time

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Friday me and my very confident little daughter aged 4, finally got our Nuc's of Bees and put them in our 14X12 National Hives.

Just a couple of questions, do you put your suit on if you want to just watch what pollen they are bringing in, or just observe their behaviour? also putting more syrup into the feeder, would you put a suit on for this?

I have very well behaved bees and requeen aggressive hives so my answer should be read in that context.

Part of my sales spiel for honey is to invite visitors to see the bees/hives in the garden. Regularly I show visitors around and take off the roof so they can see the bees through the clear perspex Crown Board,

BUT: I don't do that when the grass where the hives is wet, or it is overcast or thunder is likely. (Bees HATE overcast thundery weather and sting).

So far no visitors have been stung by bees. Oldest son's girlfriend's boxer dog - all energy, no brains - has been .
Nor have my family. When feeding syrup I normally wear a veil and hat only . But accept I may be stung. As I am now immune to bee venom, the odd sting or 20 hurts but usually that is all.

If you are feeding without any protection , expect to be stung. Stings on the face can do serious damage to eyes, ears and nose.# If you are not immune to bee venom, my advice is to wear a veil as a minimum.

I would NEVER allow children near a hive unprotected when feeding. Too many things to go wrong when your attention is elsewhere.

# swollen and closed eyes, swelling of nasal passages, inability to breathe etc.. A visit to A&E if really bad. Death at worst.

(Repeated exposure to bee venom will either give you immunity to venom or - if you are one of approx. 1% of the UK population - anaphylactic shock. The latter is a hospital visit and unless you undergo treatment, means stopping keeping bees. Seen it happen to a younger than me Association member. Scary stuff)
Strangely enough this is rarely discussed with beginners. It should be.

Last edited:
Throw away the Haynes, buy Ted Hoopers "Guid to bees and honey" the original may be old but it has been updated by two of our best beekeepers, follow one method of beekeeping, make your own mistakes and learn from wanting to be a good beekeeper.
Got to disagree there Patrick - have you actually looked at the Haynes Manual ? ... It's a really good get you through the first year (or two) book with invaluable step by step instructions and lots of up to date pictures. It's an ideal book for a beginner, written in an easy to read fashion ... it's not the Ladybird book of beekeeping.

Hooper is a book to have on your shelf and it will anwer most of your questions when you are a little more versed in beekeeping but it's not a book for beginners and there are massive gaps where the beekeeping world has moved on. It's still the goto book for a technical question but I rather fear it is being largely replaced with the internet and in particular - this forum.

Got to disagree there Patrick - have you actually looked at the Haynes Manual ? ... It's a really good get you through the first year (or two) book with invaluable step by step instructions and lots of up to date pictures. It's an ideal book for a beginner, written in an easy to read fashion ... it's not the Ladybird book of beekeeping.

Hooper is a book to have on your shelf and it will anwer most of your questions when you are a little more versed in beekeeping but it's not a book for beginners and there are massive gaps where the beekeeping world has moved on. It's still the goto book for a technical question but I rather fear it is being largely replaced with the internet and in particular - this forum.
Maybe I was a bit blunt with the point I was trying to make, aside from the choice of book.

One method of beekeeping with support such as this forum is more than enough.

As for book choice, it is a personal choice, I have been a big reader of beekeeping books and found Haynes did not fit with my reading skills/style ( good or bad ) it has to be readable for the individual, Ted Hooper is definitely a coffee table book, not necessarily readable more a reference book I guess link with something from Clive De Bruyn or Starting out with bees by John Williams and you have the foundations to start beekeeping.

Its an opinion, the caution of course is be careful what you wish for, my first book was Ted Hoopers, I started with two hives just over 20 years ago now, a retirement plan 🤣🤣🤣

Maybe I was a bit blunt with the point I was trying to make, aside from the choice of book.

One method of beekeeping with support such as this forum is more than enough.

As for book choice, it is a personal choice, I have been a big reader of beekeeping books and found Haynes did not fit with my reading skills/style ( good or bad ) it has to be readable for the individual, Ted Hooper is definitely a coffee table book, not necessarily readable more a reference book I guess link with something from Clive De Bruyn or Starting out with bees by John Williams and you have the foundations to start beekeeping.

Its an opinion, the caution of course is be careful what you wish for, my first book was Ted Hoopers, I started with two hives just over 20 years ago now, a retirement plan 🤣🤣🤣
Yes ... Haynes was not available when I started beekeeping but it's a lifesaver for people who don't have a great deal of knowledge before they start out ... it's painting by numbers for early years beekeepers. It's not perfect (not unusual with Haynes - having used many of the Haynes Motor Manuals over the years I can remember once instance where it said 'withdraw half shaft' - what it didn't say was that I would spend half a day with a slide hammer, wedge and oxy acetylene torch to achieve that phrase !) there are ommissions and some regurgitated nonsense but ... if you can follow a recipe it will get you through the basics.

Like you, I encourage new beekeepers to think about what they are doing as longer term you WILL have to think about what you are doing ... and alongside Hooper there are many beekeeping books that offer further insight into the craft - some better than others. Having said that - there's an awful lot that just trot out the same old, same old, perpetuated myths which don't help when you are asking people to think about what the bees are doing .... Manuals of Misinformation in some cases !

Just a couple of questions, do you put your suit on if you want to just watch what pollen they are bringing in, or just observe their behaviour? also putting more syrup into the feeder, would you put a suit on for this?
Bit late to this thread, which seems to have moved on a bit!
But just wanted to say that personally I don't suit up just to stand near the hives and watch what they're bringing in or what's flying. I'm familiar with their usual temperament, and know where i can stand out of their way, so there's little risk if I'm sensible.
Having said that, I get the most stings from what I call 'I'll just...' jobs. They're also almost always the sting to awkward areas like your face! I rarely get stung at all when suited up and doing full inspections, but there's a tendency to think 'I don't need to bother to suit up just to...' top up a feeder, or peek through a clear crown board etc. But you can almost guarantee that's when the plastic CB on your poly nuc has somehow got stuck to the lid rather than the brood box, or when you've knocked a box trying to top up a feeder, or as happened to me earlier this week a bee just happens to fly up your nose and you simply can't stop that automatic reaction to knock it away and it obviously stings in response!
So, if I was sensible I'd say always wear a suit (or at least a veil) whenever you do anything with the bees. But I can't say I follow that myself! Even if I spend a week or so being more careful after an incident, the 'I'll just...' jobs always creep back in 😀

Bit late to this thread, which seems to have moved on a bit!
But just wanted to say that personally I don't suit up just to stand near the hives and watch what they're bringing in or what's flying. I'm familiar with their usual temperament, and know where i can stand out of their way, so there's little risk if I'm sensible.
Having said that, I get the most stings from what I call 'I'll just...' jobs. They're also almost always the sting to awkward areas like your face! I rarely get stung at all when suited up and doing full inspections, but there's a tendency to think 'I don't need to bother to suit up just to...' top up a feeder, or peek through a clear crown board etc. But you can almost guarantee that's when the plastic CB on your poly nuc has somehow got stuck to the lid rather than the brood box, or when you've knocked a box trying to top up a feeder, or as happened to me earlier this week a bee just happens to fly up your nose and you simply can't stop that automatic reaction to knock it away and it obviously stings in response!
So, if I was sensible I'd say always wear a suit (or at least a veil) whenever you do anything with the bees. But I can't say I follow that myself! Even if I spend a week or so being more careful after an incident, the 'I'll just...' jobs always creep back in 😀
Yes .. Yes ... Yes .... That's me ....

The number of times I've been stung 'when I was just ... ' far outweigh the ones when I've been booted and suited doing inspections. Flicking a dead bee off the landing board, sticking my head too close to look at what they are bringing in, checking a feeder, adjusting a hive on its stand, pulling a weed up in front of a hive .... all resulted at some point in a sting. Not always, just you sometimes get complacent. They are insects that can sting if the colony feels threatened.

Most of the time i can stand and watch my bees from fairly close up and they take no notice but, occasionally, you find the odd, over enthusiastic, kamikaze, guard bee who takes exception - and it's always straight for the eyebrow ! I can normally see them coming and if you retreat to a safe distance they give in .... any that don't - followers (and I don't get many) - dead, no second chances. My hives are in the garden and it's zero tolerance for any agressive behaviour.

I don't think I'd let a child stand in front of my hives without a suit ... good natured as my bees are I would not risk a child getting stung when it's so easy to prevent it. I have a mesh screen around the gate area to my apiary and whilst it's only a few feet from the hives the mesh screen provides a means for my grandchilren to see the bees without getting too close or bees getting to them. If I'm inspecting then they are suited and booted - no options.

Yes ... Haynes was not available when I started beekeeping but it's a lifesaver for people who don't have a great deal of knowledge before they start out ... it's painting by numbers for early years beekeepers. It's not perfect (not unusual with Haynes - having used many of the Haynes Motor Manuals over the years I can remember once instance where it said 'withdraw half shaft' - what it didn't say was that I would spend half a day with a slide hammer, wedge and oxy acetylene torch to achieve that phrase !) there are ommissions and some regurgitated nonsense but ... if you can follow a recipe it will get you through the basics.

Like you, I encourage new beekeepers to think about what they are doing as longer term you WILL have to think about what you are doing ... and alongside Hooper there are many beekeeping books that offer further insight into the craft - some better than others. Having said that - there's an awful lot that just trot out the same old, same old, perpetuated myths which don't help when you are asking people to think about what the bees are doing .... Manuals of Misinformation in some cases !
Some books are just plagiarised models, you can tell because they perpetuate the same mistakes over and over

Last summer I used to have my lunch or cup of tea sat a few feet from the entrance and was fine. Also filled up the feeder, but easy to get complacent and I was stung a couple of times by individuals rather than them all coming for me. So worth being careful and especially protect your daughter to make sure she doesn't get put off, she looks like she has a long career ahead of her 😊.

I am fascinated to just sit and watch what they are bringing in, I got caught out on Sunday with a rogue bee getting caught up in my Covid hair, it stung me right on top of my head, but didn’t hurt as much as I thought it would, my daughter is always suited up when we go near the hive. She’s absolutely loving it.

New nuc, just leave them for a while to settle in, 4 day inspections are way too soon, if it’s a new queen you are safe this year, just a 12 day inspection plan. Many beekeepers consider that too often. keep feeding don’t let them run out of feed, If you have a pollen pattie during the first few weeks put it on , if they need it they will take it down, hopefully you put foundation next to the last frame in the brood area, to give the queen somewhere to lay.

Watch the entrance, your looking for a good flow of pollen and guards

Thanks @Patrick1 On Friday they will have been in the hive for 7 days so I was planning to inspect then. They have both emptied 1 and a 1/3 in volume of the rapid feeder as of last night and both topped back up again with 1:1 syrup. I have some fondant I just need to check if it contains pollen. I thought that went on over winter or early spring?

Young children tend to like honey bees until they get their first sting - but maybe, Martimart, your four-year-old is hardy. Good luck.

I've got her well wrapped up and we'll see how it goes. You'll probably be able to hear her scream if or when she does get stung!

With the Haynes it is more like a manual, so you can easily get answered a immediate problem, I also have Bee's at the bottom of the garden, which is ok, BBKA book on keeping bees. I've recently bought Beekeepers Bible which is a lovely book to dip in and out of, but I think I'll using the Haynes mostly and of course this forum!

Everyone has been so kind and helpful.

Thanks @Patrick1 I have some fondant I just need to check if it contains pollen. I thought that went on over winter or early spring?
There’s no fondant with any significant amount of pollen. You need a pollen patty. If I use one it’s always Ultrabee

I am fascinated to just sit and watch what they are bringing in, I got caught out on Sunday with a rogue bee getting caught up in my Covid hair, it stung me right on top of my head, but didn’t hurt as much as I thought it would, my daughter is always suited up when we go near the hive. She’s absolutely loving it.
Top of my list of things you didn't realise you'd need for beekeeping are a hairbrush, and a mirror. As someone with long hair I keep an old plastic hairbrush hanging outside right next to the hives. This 'bee brush' gets much more use than the more typical bee brush in the shed. It's invaluable for those inevitable moments when you've got a bee stuck in your hair! Gets them untangled quicker and easier and with fewer stings. I also have a plastic mirror stuck on the back of the bee shed door. Great for double-checking for bees in your hair, or stragglers hanging onto your suit.
My nieces love seeing the bees, but I'm always just waiting for the inevitable sting that will quickly change their minds ;)
20210707_171439.jpg

There’s no fondant with any significant amount of pollen. You need a pollen patty. If I use one it’s always Ultrabee
Your right , I checked and it’s Apipasta Plus that I have , would I be better feeding them this rather than the light syrup?

Your right , I checked and it’s Apipasta Plus that I have , would I be better feeding them this rather than the light syrup?
You may as well feed them bog standard pasta than that for all the good it would do 😁
If anything, all you should give them at this time of year is 1:1sugar syrup.
But do they really need it?

I think your probably better to advise on that than me being totally honest. I was told to feed light syrup to one hive for a week to 2 weeks to encourage them to draw comb on the 5 frames of foundation. The other nuc that’s in the other hive has hardly any stores around the frames so my supplier said to feed them 1:1 syrup as much as they will take ongoing.

I’ll inspect them tomorrow and see how they are drawing the comb on the foundation

Latest posts

Back