Nuc into Hive first time

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martimart

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
On Friday me and my very confident little daughter aged 4, finally got our Nuc's of Bees and put them in our 14X12 National Hives.

We managed ok and she loved getting involved, loosening the frames for me to put them into the Hives. Hive 1 I noticed after a few hours the bee's were entering the hive from the rear, which I couldn't figure out. We transferred them at around 12:00 and checking up on them at around 15:00 I finally noticed that the mesh floor on the hive wasn't pinned down across the rear face of the hive and was giving the bees access. I had a spare hive which after checking had a good floor. So re-suited up and took the hive apart and assembled it all again on the new floor.

They are doing ok, we spotted the queens in both hives, with 1 hive having slightly more stores than the other, but the bee's in both hives were calm, over the full 5 frames with 3 frames of eggs, larvae and capped. These are now central positioned in the hives with foundation to each side, 3 one side and 2 the other.

I am feeding both hives with 1:1 sugar syrup on a rapid feeder sat on the crown board with a empty super surrounding it so the roof fits correctly.

Just a couple of questions, do you put your suit on if you want to just watch what pollen they are bringing in, or just observe their behaviour? also putting more syrup into the feeder, would you put a suit on for this?
Also I spotted a drone on the landing board, which I wasn't expecting to see, it roamed around for a bit then flew off, what do I need to assume from this? I wasn't expecting to see a drone apart from on the frames.
We are going to do our next inspection on Friday.

Also I spotted a drone on the landing board, which I wasn't expecting to see, it roamed around for a bit then flew off, what do I need to assume from this? I wasn't expecting to see a drone apart from on the frames

Welcome.

What is it that you think the purpose of drones is?

Welcome.

What is it that you think the purpose of drones is?

Doesn't @Martimart mean that they wouldn't have expected the nuc to be at the stage of producing drones? I'm sure that the primary function of a drone is well known to them.
Even if you have no drones, I read that drones from other colonies may be attracted to your hive and will easily gain access and be welcomed.

As for suiting up; as you gain confidence and get to know the general demeanour of your bees it's likely that you will be confident enough to approach the hives to view them quite closely without protection. With a Miller-type feeder above the crownboard you should be able to feed the bees safely without a suit....just be careful to lift the correct cover! I think I would encourage your little girl to stand a bit further back as you do this or else make sure she's suited up for now until she's a bit bigger or you are sure the bees are calm.

Last edited:
do you put your suit on if you want to just watch what pollen they are bringing in, or just observe their behaviour? also putting more syrup into the feeder, would you put a suit on for this?

If I am in the apiary, I am suited up, at least with a head covering. Simple as that.

A sting to the face can really spoil your day (and indeed end your beekeeping hobby if you are really unlucky). Even a bee from a friendly colony, if it flies into you by accident, can sting instinctively.

But it's a personal choice related to how much risk you are prepared to take.

@Beebe Thanks for your reply, I saw drones when putting the Nuc into the Hive. What I'd assumed obviously incorrectly, is that the drones in my hive where there to fertilise a new queen from MY hive. I didn't realise that they make flights to mate with any virgin queens in my locality.

We'll continue to suit up for the time being

@Beebe What I'd assumed obviously incorrectly, is that the drones in my hive where there to fertilise a new queen from MY hive.
Nope - quite the opposite really. a virgin queen will fly quite a distance from the hive to mate, and highly unlikely to mate with drones from her own colony.
Have you done any courses? I would suggest that you do a bit of light reading on the subject to clear up a few uncertainties you have. Just make sure you read the right stuff 😁

@jenkinsbrynmair Thank you, I have done a half day course, also a full day from the person whom I purchased the Nuc‘s from. I feel quite confident on day to day bits and inspections etc, I’ve got the Haynes manual and a couple of other books as well. There’s an lot of information to take in plus retrieve at the relevant time. This year my goal is to try and stay a couple of weeks ahead of them in terms of what might be happening, and make sure they survive the winter.

Entry via the rear floor can be a problem on my bees on a budget nationals. I now use a few drawing pins to make sure the floor does not sag.
Yes, there is a lot to take in at first, but in my experience the more you read, the more you will enjoy your bees, and might even cope without panic with the " eventualities" which will happen. Enjoy.

Entry via the rear floor can be a problem on my bees on a budget nationals. I now use a few drawing pins to make sure the floor does not sag.
Yes, there is a lot to take in at first, but in my experience the more you read, the more you will enjoy your bees, and might even cope without panic with the " eventualities" which will happen. Enjoy.

I was quite pleased with spotting the floor and resolving the problem, thats a good tip regarding drawing pins. Thank You.

@Boston Bees Thanks for the advice, we'll continue with the suits!View attachment 27101View attachment 27101

Yes...you definitely don't want bee stings on that pretty face. Maybe I am a bit over-confident because my colonies are relatively small and too busy with building up to care about me. But when bees are kept in gardens, as are mine, you have to accept a certain amount of risk at some point; otherwise you can't enjoy the outdoors.

[QUOTE="Martimart, post: 777014, This year my goal is to try and stay a couple of weeks ahead of them in terms of what might be happening, and make sure they survive the winter.
[/QUOTE]
We all start the year planning to stay a couple of weeks ahead of them, in my case that plan usually disappears with my first inspection and I invariably spend the rest of the year trying to keep up with them! Even my mentor, with decades of experience, reports the same 😂😂

Well done for a great start, love the pics

[QUOTE="Martimart, post: 777014, This year my goal is to try and stay a couple of weeks ahead of them in terms of what might be happening, and make sure they survive the winter.
We all start the year planning to stay a couple of weeks ahead of them, in my case that plan usually disappears with my first inspection and I invariably spend the rest of the year trying to keep up with them! Even my mentor, with decades of experience, reports the same 😂😂

[/QUOTE]
So true.... it's not just beginners that struggle to keep ahead of what the bees are up to ... nearly 10 years into the craft and I still struggle to stay ahead of their antics, more often than not I'm playing catchup ! As mental exercise it's better than the times cryptic crossword .... with half the clues missing !

So true.... it's not just beginners that struggle to keep ahead of what the bees are up to ... nearly 10 years into the craft and I still struggle to stay ahead of their antics, more often than not I'm playing catchup ! As mental exercise it's better than the times cryptic crossword .... with half the clues missing !
[/QUOTE]
Absolutely, and I start every year with the mantra " this year I'm going to be more *organised/ prepared/ ready" *delete as appropriate 😳

Just a couple of questions, do you put your suit on if you want to just watch what pollen they are bringing in, or just observe their behaviour? also putting more syrup into the feeder, would you put a suit on for this?
Last summer I used to have my lunch or cup of tea sat a few feet from the entrance and was fine. Also filled up the feeder, but easy to get complacent and I was stung a couple of times by individuals rather than them all coming for me. So worth being careful and especially protect your daughter to make sure she doesn't get put off, she looks like she has a long career ahead of her 😊.

On Friday me and my very confident little daughter aged 4, finally got our Nuc's of Bees and put them in our 14X12 National Hives.

We managed ok and she loved getting involved, loosening the frames for me to put them into the Hives. Hive 1 I noticed after a few hours the bee's were entering the hive from the rear, which I couldn't figure out. We transferred them at around 12:00 and checking up on them at around 15:00 I finally noticed that the mesh floor on the hive wasn't pinned down across the rear face of the hive and was giving the bees access. I had a spare hive which after checking had a good floor. So re-suited up and took the hive apart and assembled it all again on the new floor.

They are doing ok, we spotted the queens in both hives, with 1 hive having slightly more stores than the other, but the bee's in both hives were calm, over the full 5 frames with 3 frames of eggs, larvae and capped. These are now central positioned in the hives with foundation to each side, 3 one side and 2 the other.

I am feeding both hives with 1:1 sugar syrup on a rapid feeder sat on the crown board with a empty super surrounding it so the roof fits correctly.

Also I spotted a drone on the landing board, which I wasn't expecting to see, it roamed around for a bit then flew off, what do I need to assume from this? I wasn't expecting to see a drone apart from on the frames.
We are going to do our next inspection on Friday.
New nuc, just leave them for a while to settle in, 4 day inspections are way too soon, if it’s a new queen you are safe this year, just a 12 day inspection plan. Many beekeepers consider that too often. keep feeding don’t let them run out of feed, If you have a pollen pattie during the first few weeks put it on , if they need it they will take it down, hopefully you put foundation next to the last frame in the brood area, to give the queen somewhere to lay.

Watch the entrance, your looking for a good flow of pollen and guards

@jenkinsbrynmair Thank you, I have done a half day course, also a full day from the person whom I purchased the Nuc‘s from. I feel quite confident on day to day bits and inspections etc, I’ve got the Haynes manual and a couple of other books as well. There’s an lot of information to take in plus retrieve at the relevant time. This year my goal is to try and stay a couple of weeks ahead of them in terms of what might be happening, and make sure they survive the winter.
Throw away the Haynes, buy Ted Hoopers "Guid to bees and honey" the original may be old but it has been updated by two of our best beekeepers, follow one method of beekeeping, make your own mistakes and learn from wanting to be a good beekeeper.

Latest posts

Back