Nuc almost ready!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iainwilk01

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I've just been told my bees will be ready for collection on or after 1st June. So excited!
My question is, am I best collecting the bees on a evening when all foragers have returned or 1st thing in the morning? Does it make a difference?

When I collected my nuc, I was told it was shut the night before so to go and collect it as early as possible so that they weren't shut in for a whole day.

At dusk as their first thing may well be considerably earlier than yours...;)

PH

what time are the bees usually all in the hive on an evening during this time of year?

Thought as much. Early start it'll have to be I think. If it's a nice day when I get them, would you put them into the hive same day or wait til the day after?

Thought as much. Early start it'll have to be I think. If it's a nice day when I get them, would you put them into the hive same day or wait til the day after?

Your seller should give you instructions. They are several miles away, I hope? On that assumption, let the nuc settle for a while (about an hour) in the eventual hive spot, spraying with water then open and leave 24 hours for them to orientate then hive the next day. At a push you could hive them after a couple of hours (if it's a long way to your apiary for example) but the journey is a trauma and the extra day in the nuc shouldn't hurt. (The seller should know there are no QCs: if there is any doubt, then hiving and looking for them on day 1 is lower risk. If you do find any, you can AS right away.)

I recommend inspecting before collection if possible (depending on distance) and yes my preferred time for collection of the nucs I produce is in the evening (dusk or earlier if it cools down).

When moving Nucs between sites in the summer you really have to be up before the sun otherwise they will start flying before you can close them in!

When moving Nucs between sites in the summer you really have to be up before the sun otherwise they will start flying before you can close them in!
:iagree:

I usually close up when it's near enough dark - fun in Garn Cottage before my eyes were done last year veered a bit too far to the left on the driveway and nearly missed the bridge that crosses the stream in their garden!! don't mind being waist deep in water but the ten foot drop wpould have been a bit inconvenient!

Thanks all. My bee provider has provided me with care instructions but I just wanted to get advice from multiple people. I'll have to ask him if he minds me coming across for them at 10ish.
One last thing (for now). It is a new hive they'll be going into and I've read recently that new hive smell can upset them and make them leave. So do I put QE under brood box or not?

(The seller should know there are no QCs: if there is any doubt, then hiving and looking for them on day 1 is lower risk. If you do find any, you can AS right away.)

If there are any QC's there - they'd be going straight back to the seller and a refund demanded

Latest posts

Back