Now here's a theory

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Talking to another beekeeper the other day we were discussing sycamore. We have both moved to areas with sycamore trees in the past and have noticed that on our arrival and for a couple of years there were few flowers on the trees. There were some but not many. After several years of beekeeping in the same area the trees now drip with thousands of flowers every year
Could it be that the pollination induces the plant to produce more flowers and if so this could be really quite important. It may only happen to sycamore but maybe they are just more noticeable. Could be a good study for someone that is cleverer than I am!
Any body else noticed other trees or plants that do this or is it just coincidental!
E

. After several years of beekeeping in the same area the trees now drip with thousands of flowers every year
Could it be that the pollination induces the plant to produce more flowers and if so this could be really quite important.
E

No need to invent theory.

Older trees make more seeds and fruits than young trees.

After a good seed and fruit year trees has habit to keep a pause. They gather energy to make again a good seed year.

Pollination does not induce flowering. That induction is in genes and in the energy stores of the tree.

That is exactly what I have been told and thought but...,.. does that mean I am wrong about sycamore or coukd it be that no one had realised it!
E

Stan and I have lived here in Mid Coastal Wales for nearly six years. We have a large Sycamore in our Apiary. I must say that the year following a bad Spring when gales stripped all the blossom there were hardly any flowers produced. This year is back to normal
One year all the Oaks were absolutely buzzing for a couple of weeks. Never seen it before or since. The conditions must have been just right.

The conditions must have been just right.

Our massive Cornish Walnut tree is buzzing at the moment.... hope she crops well this year
Cornish walnuts in Cornish honey fetches a premium price... we already have our order books full !!!

The conditions must have been just right.

Our massive Cornish Walnut tree is buzzing at the moment.... hope she crops well this year
Cornish walnuts in Cornish honey fetches a premium price... we already have our order books full !!!

That's really interesting, we have two massive old walnuts that produce tons of nuts, I gave bags away last year but may sell them this year but i have never noticed a bee on them, I always thought they were wind pollinated. Will look more closely tomorrow!
E

Talking to another beekeeper the other day we were discussing sycamore. We have both moved to areas with sycamore trees in the past and have noticed that on our arrival and for a couple of years there were few flowers on the trees. There were some but not many. After several years of beekeeping in the same area the trees now drip with thousands of flowers every year
Could it be that the pollination induces the plant to produce more flowers and if so this could be really quite important. It may only happen to sycamore but maybe they are just more noticeable. Could be a good study for someone that is cleverer than I am!
Any body else noticed other trees or plants that do this or is it just coincidental!
E

We have a large amount of Sycamore here and each year the gutters are full of sprouting seedlings that need clearing no matter what the weather throws at us... i just wish OSR was banned so the bees would use it.

i just wish OSR was banned so the bees wouldn't use it.

Snob! Getting fussy about what your bees forage on :)
I love OSR, my bees love OSR, my customers love OSR honey, my bank manager loves the fact that my customers love OSR honey.
Win win win....

Snob! Getting fussy about what your bees forage on :)
I love OSR, my bees love OSR, my customers love OSR honey, my bank manager loves the fact that my customers love OSR honey.
Win win win....

It's the checking frames( refractometer) uncapped/capped then the mess on warming it back up and processing it, i do not have the fund's most folk have on here i would love to have some runny honey straight out of the bucket with out messing on, do you get my drift..

I do...but all honey will set eventually. All you need to make quality soft set honey is a warming cabinet to remelt your set OSR honey and a creamer...cheapest option is one of these from Thornes,
E3005-800-500x500.jpg

Okay it takes time and you need to work it frequently but great end product.
There are a lot of power drill attachments that do similar jobs. I found they introduce too many bubbles.

Back