Novices - What lessons have you learned in the 2011?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3: Make a checklist of my intentions before every inspection, and have everything I might or might not need in the way of equipment ready to hand before starting, so I can feel confident as I close up that I haven't forgotten to do something I meant to.

I forgot that one, which is really important, and an associated point of "if you don't know why you are going to open the hive - then don't. Only open it if you have a clear reason"

I have really enjoyed reading all of these. They make me laugh and bring back so many memories. I hope the more experienced amongst us have managed to help those who are still on a steep learning curve (It never flattens out .. trust me!) The little blighters never fail to amaze me by finding a new problem for us all to ponder over!
Maybe a few tips may help

1) Part make a full box of brood and super frames so that all you need to do is add the wax and the last bottom bar
2) When the bees have been in their hive for a couple of weeks and the weather forecast is cold then move the hive to where you REALLY want it!
3) Clear a flat level space near to each hive to put down all the things that you use when inspecting including the roof and your hive tool!
4) Get a whole new brood and super ready and when you use it unexpectedly make another one the next day!!!
5) Pin an old pair of glasses to your bee suit! When you want to see the queen and the whole lot look blurred it is too late to fetch them!
6) Don't store your bee suit, gloves or any other hive stuff where mice can get at them. I went to put my gloves on last spring and all the finger ends had been chewed off! I spent the whole year with gaffer tape on my finger tips cos I couldn't justify buying another pair (But father Christmas has got some I hear!)
7) Check you spare stored frames regularly for wax moth and mould (Use the freezer treatment if all else fails!)
8) Start a spread sheet on the computer and vow to keep it up after every inspection!
9) Give each hive a little tap every week with your ear pressed to the side (Not the front) and listen for a contented hum/buzz (If none then feed quickly!)
10) Really Really enjoy Christmas. I personally have had hours of pleasure just reading about your problems and how many ideas we all have to solve things. Chill out now as next year we all want a bumper crop.
Love you all!
E
:chillpill:

Probably the following.

1) Look and listen to the bees. You can learn a lot about what's going on inside by observing what's going on outside. (Place a board outside the entrance to see what's being ejected, look for DWV or deformed bees as evidence of varroa infestation etc).
2) Have a plan before you open the hive. Don't just dive in cack handed. What is it you are opening the hive for? Have you got everything ready? And on occasion a plan B in case it goes wrong. (I've dived in fiddled, broken comb, angry bees, and then had to leave the hive go and find the bits to attach comb again, happenend only once, but once is enough).
3) Run a minimum of two hives to compare and contrast. (My bees are quite different between the two hives).
4) Get some practical training before keeping bees. Regardless of your intended beekeeping style. I keep TBHs but trained on nationals. I learnt an awful lot from those more experienced than I.

Bobster

Don't give bees too much space, don't give them too little. Never put off an inspection otherwise half your bees ma have gone. I've learnt how to feed, to smoke properly. I've learnt how to filter bees to remove a super. I now need to know how to extract a super full of honey that has solidified. A lot of the frames are granulted so I'll prob give back to bees to sort out next spring/summer

I now need to know how to extract a super full of honey that has solidified

Buy an old chest freezer that doesn't work. Put in a light bulb (Lit of course!) put in your super and bobs your uncle. Soft runny honey!!!! May need a bit of tweeking but t works!
E

Probably the following.

1) Look and listen to the bees. You can learn a lot about what's going on inside by observing what's going on outside. (Place a board outside the entrance to see what's being ejected, look for DWV or deformed bees as evidence of varroa infestation etc).
2) Have a plan before you open the hive. Don't just dive in cack handed. What is it you are opening the hive for? Have you got everything ready? And on occasion a plan B in case it goes wrong. (I've dived in fiddled, broken comb, angry bees, and then had to leave the hive go and find the bits to attach comb again, happenend only once, but once is enough).
3) Run a minimum of two hives to compare and contrast. (My bees are quite different between the two hives).
4) Get some practical training before keeping bees. Regardless of your intended beekeeping style. I keep TBHs but trained on nationals. I learnt an awful lot from those more experienced than I.

Bobster
It is possible to get a free PDF download of a book called "At the Hive Entrance" which is great to refer to when you are observing your bees over the months

Don't volunteer for anything at your association, :willy_nilly:
Halving the average age of the committee in the process but if we hadn't stepped up no one else seemed interested?

I think that a lot of associations are quite "mature". Our meetings are the only place now where I ever get addressed as "young man" :)

Just a new bee myself but am lead to believe that supercedure cells are usually in the middle of a frame and swarm cells are on the bottom of a frame,

Sometimes but not ALWAYS right. It is a good rule to work by but remember that bees don't always follow them. Just be cautious that's all I'm saying and don't stick religiously to what you have been told or read. Nature is a funny animal!
I was just adding a quip really! Sorry if I confused you
E

An example of what Enrico is saying ....
You find two cells mid frame in your hive, first week of May. Would you leave well alone as they are supersedure cells or would you begin to think 'What if they decide to swarm?'

To add my tuppence... I'd be inclined to leave them. Rather apologise to the neighbours catching a swarm than kill off the potentially only new queens i have left!

To add my tuppence... I'd be inclined to leave them.

But there are alternatives.

It is also good to remember that the female sex has a high propensity toward changing their mind! - At least the lady in my life has this tendency, so I do have some experience!

RAB

Latest posts

Back