Novices - What lessons have you learned in the 2011?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lesson learnt

When feeding take the Porter bee escape off !!!!!!! wondered why the contact feeder still felt heavy a week later ! brains of a rocking horse sometimes. Or was it the alcohol !

dave W

Not so much this year but generally - Don't post unless your skin is thick enough for the replies!! :)

I learnt that all the book reading in the world means squat. Bees do what they want, when they want. I just need to react to it in the right way.

I learnt that all the book reading in the world means squat. Bees do what they want, when they want. I just need to react to it in the right way.

Oh dear, one of those! Can't agree at all with that!

I believe book reading is a very important aspect of learning. Some may not be able to read properly and understand the text, but it must at least give a grounding on the issues which may be important when beekeeping commences.

Bees will do what they want when they want, but the over-riding reason for the beekeeper to be there is to give them those options, desired by the beekeeper, and try to guide the bees in the direction required, rather than await them to make decisions which are not wanted.

Reacting in the right way is important when things are going in a surprisingly direction which is not wanted, but a far better option is to keep at least one step ahead of the bees by being pro- and not re- active. Swarming intent is the obvious example here - far better to avoid the swarming instinct than trying to thwart it once the bees have set off on that course.

RAB

Latest posts

Back